Water Changes With Betta And Shrimp

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Simon711, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Simon711

Simon711Valued MemberMember

Hello Everyone! I currently have a 3.5 gallon tank that is heated, filtered, and cycled. it currently houses 1 male betta, 2 ghost shrimp, and it will soon get 6 more Dream Blue Velvet Shrimp! I was doing before when I only had my betta in the tank 1 20% water change once a week with prime and adding seed (beneficial bacteria). Now that I have these shrimp in the tank do I do the same amount of water changes? I know that shrimp are much more sensitive to water changes than a betta is so I wanted to ask you guys about this. Thank you in advance!

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Yeah that should be fine. I have a betta and shrimp in a 5 gallon and I do 40-60% water changes twice a week.

3. Caitlin86

Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

4. OP
    OP
    Simon711

I always make sure the temps are matched.

5. Stephen HiattWell Known MemberMember

You can keep your current wc schedule (as long as it's a good one).

A quick tip now that you're starting to keep shrimp; put an old sock over your siphon so it doesn't suck up shrimp.

6. OP
    OP
    Simon711

I already have pantyhose over my intake:)

7. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

Ph, temp, and preferably TDS should be matched, and that will lessen chances of problems with the shrimp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice