Water changes using Python

SereneReyn
Ok, i'm not technically 'new' but it's been an awfully long time... I haven't even set up a tank again yet, but i'm wanting to. anyway, on to my question...

so the python thing seems cool for cleaning all the gravel and whatnot - I used to use buckets to lug all the dirty water away, etc... (i'm going to do freshwater community tank with plants, btw)... but what i'm not understanding is how you can refill your tank with tap water, without having treated it first with a water conditioner. could someone explain this part? what am I missing?

Angela_96
I asked a similar question today they said to put the water conditioner in the tank before you turn the water on to fill your tank back up, the water is instantly treated anyways with the conditioners.

SereneReyn
well, thanks... just seems odd to do it that way... this is ok even for somewhat delicate fish?

also... i've always preferred novaqua to stresscoat... tho stresscoat seems more popular... why?

sirdarksol
I should add that this knowledge is not first hand. It's from The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums. I do not yet have a Python, and therefore have not done this yet.

sirdarksol
SereneReyn said:
well, thanks... just seems odd to do it that way... this is ok even for somewhat delicate fish?

also... i've always preferred novaqua to stresscoat... tho stresscoat seems more popular... why?
It should be fine. It actually takes quite awhile for chloramine to do damage in the such small concentrations. On the other hand, the dechlorinator is more or less instant.

Not sure about the second one. Personally, I like Novaqua+ and/or Ultimate. They do the same things as StressCoat, and are more readily available around here.

Trpimp147
well I have one and have no problem with chlorine... depending one the size of the tank it would be dilooted any way... my main problem with it is when I put water in the tank its to cold for the fish so I have like 3 heaters in one tank when I do it and I take hot water and put it in at the same time to try and keep the tank warm.... kinda gives the fish a shock when one is holding I try and get warmer water faster. also you don't want to put any more chems in then you have to.

shooter_tx
Trpimp147 said:
well I have one and have no problem with chlorine... depending one the size of the tank it would be dilooted any way...
According to Python's website, the aeration that takes place at the tap also contributes to the dechlorination of incoming water.

link (see last/final FAQ item)
my main problem with it is when I put water in the tank its to cold for the fish so I have like 3 heaters in one tank when I do it and I take hot water and put it in at the same time to try and keep the tank warm.... kinda gives the fish a shock when one is holding I try and get warmer water faster. also you don't want to put any more chems in then you have to.
As for this part, from what I've read (as I don't yet have a faucet-powered gravel filter / water changer), you should get the water temp close (using hot and cold handles to mix to approx. temp) at the tap first, before reversing the direction of flow.

Or you could just do smaller water changes, so that the effect of colder (or hotter) temp incoming water is negligible.

Trpimp147
I never treat my water once coming in our town uses vary little chems. so I have less to worry about other then heat in the tank wha tI like to do is turn the heaters as high as they will go and turn it on and try and aI'm the water at the heaters and some times I put a 3rd and 4th heater in there to help due to weather out side b/c I hook mine up to out side faucet

sirdarksol
I would be concerned about my health if my municipal water supply didn't chlorinate the water.

As far as aeration dechlorinating, it will do so, but only if the water has chlorine. Chloramine doesn't evaporate off like chlorine does, and wouldn't be affected by the aeration.

Trpimp147
our water is cleaned vary well they us vary little chems they put in the best system you can buy only 5 or 6 years ago and they update it year'ly to keep it the best water in the area they also have run off feilds that clean the water before it goes into the well and or our holding ponds.

Butterfly
The python allows you to mix cold and hot water to get it warm as it goes back into the tank. I use a similar system. I use a garden hose with a siphon adaptor on one end. When I get ready to refill I attach the other end to the faucet and adjust the temp. I put my dechlor in a shallow cup and run the first of the water into the cup then into the tank.
Never had a problem yet.
Carol

Angela_96
The chem I use has an instant effect so I use it and I put the concentration at the base of the python where I will be filling the tank... I haven't had any prob yet filling a tank....

Top Bottom