Water changes using Python

SereneReyn

Ok, i'm not technically 'new' but it's been an awfully long time... I haven't even set up a tank again yet, but i'm wanting to. anyway, on to my question...

so the python thing seems cool for cleaning all the gravel and whatnot - I used to use buckets to lug all the dirty water away, etc... (i'm going to do freshwater community tank with plants, btw)... but what i'm not understanding is how you can refill your tank with tap water, without having treated it first with a water conditioner. could someone explain this part? what am I missing?

Angela_96

I asked a similar question today they said to put the water conditioner in the tank before you turn the water on to fill your tank back up, the water is instantly treated anyways with the conditioners.

SereneReyn

well, thanks... just seems odd to do it that way... this is ok even for somewhat delicate fish?

also... i've always preferred novaqua to stresscoat... tho stresscoat seems more popular... why?

sirdarksol

I should add that this knowledge is not first hand. It's from The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums. I do not yet have a Python, and therefore have not done this yet.

well, thanks... just seems odd to do it that way... this is ok even for somewhat delicate fish?

also... i've always preferred novaqua to stresscoat... tho stresscoat seems more popular... why?

It should be fine. It actually takes quite awhile for chloramine to do damage in the such small concentrations. On the other hand, the dechlorinator is more or less instant.

Not sure about the second one. Personally, I like Novaqua+ and/or Ultimate. They do the same things as StressCoat, and are more readily available around here.

Trpimp147

well I have one and have no problem with chlorine... depending one the size of the tank it would be dilooted any way... my main problem with it is when I put water in the tank its to cold for the fish so I have like 3 heaters in one tank when I do it and I take hot water and put it in at the same time to try and keep the tank warm.... kinda gives the fish a shock when one is holding I try and get warmer water faster. also you don't want to put any more chems in then you have to.

shooter_tx

well I have one and have no problem with chlorine... depending one the size of the tank it would be dilooted any way...
According to Python's website, the aeration that takes place at the tap also contributes to the dechlorination of incoming water.

link (see last/final FAQ item)
my main problem with it is when I put water in the tank its to cold for the fish so I have like 3 heaters in one tank when I do it and I take hot water and put it in at the same time to try and keep the tank warm.... kinda gives the fish a shock when one is holding I try and get warmer water faster. also you don't want to put any more chems in then you have to.
As for this part, from what I've read (as I don't yet have a faucet-powered gravel filter / water changer), you should get the water temp close (using hot and cold handles to mix to approx. temp) at the tap first, before reversing the direction of flow.

Or you could just do smaller water changes, so that the effect of colder (or hotter) temp incoming water is negligible.

Trpimp147

I never treat my water once coming in our town uses vary little chems. so I have less to worry about other then heat in the tank wha tI like to do is turn the heaters as high as they will go and turn it on and try and aI'm the water at the heaters and some times I put a 3rd and 4th heater in there to help due to weather out side b/c I hook mine up to out side faucet

sirdarksol

I would be concerned about my health if my municipal water supply didn't chlorinate the water.

As far as aeration dechlorinating, it will do so, but only if the water has chlorine. Chloramine doesn't evaporate off like chlorine does, and wouldn't be affected by the aeration.

Trpimp147

our water is cleaned vary well they us vary little chems they put in the best system you can buy only 5 or 6 years ago and they update it year'ly to keep it the best water in the area they also have run off feilds that clean the water before it goes into the well and or our holding ponds.

Butterfly

The python allows you to mix cold and hot water to get it warm as it goes back into the tank. I use a similar system. I use a garden hose with a siphon adaptor on one end. When I get ready to refill I attach the other end to the faucet and adjust the temp. I put my dechlor in a shallow cup and run the first of the water into the cup then into the tank.
Never had a problem yet.
Carol

Angela_96

The chem I use has an instant effect so I use it and I put the concentration at the base of the python where I will be filling the tank... I haven't had any prob yet filling a tank....

josephdurnal

I generally use 5 gallon buckets for water changes. I siphon out about 3 buckets worth and discard the water, then fill the buckets with tap water mixed with the proper amount of stress coat to remove the chlorine.

If I understand the python, it will put water straight from the tap into my aquarium. Since my water is from the public system with chlorine or chloramines, that sounds dangerous to the biological filter. I would love to simplify my weekly maintenance, but I don't want to damage the cycle.

Is there anyone using this system that can give me some advice?

Lucy

A quick search on the forum finds many threads about the python.
Here are a couple:

Dozey

I use a python and I absolutely love it. The only major difference is the amount of Prime or Stress Coat that you use. When using a 5 gallon pail you only treat the 5 gallons of water in the bucket. When using a python you have to treat the entire aquarium volume.

Slightly more expensive but for me the cost/convenience factor is well worth the additional cost.

Shawnie

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOO wish I could use one...I hear and see how much easier they are than the 5 gal bucket ways ....grrrrrrrr ...Lucky peoples!!!!!!!!!!

Dozey

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOO wish I could use one...I hear and see how much easier they are than the 5 gal bucket ways ....grrrrrrrr ...Lucky peoples!!!!!!!!!!

Why can't you use a python Shawnie?

josephdurnal

Ok, now I understand. I think I might get a python then. And a couple of bottles of stress coat or prime! Thanks!

Dozey

Ok, now I understand. I think I might get a python then. And a couple of bottles of stress coat or prime! Thanks!

You won’t regret it… And your back will thank you for it.

Shawnie

Why can't you use a python Shawnie?

we have been re doing the house and the bf has all these fancy decorated type faucets (hard to explain ) but no matter what I try, even taking off the end of each faucet, I can't get the end of the python to fit...
heres an example of my kitchen sink and here is an example of my bathroom...other than hooking it up outside to the spickets(which it does fit!!) and using cold cold water, I'm not sure what else I can do to be able to use mine any suggestions dozey?

You won’t regret it… And your back will thank you for it.
mines already shot but I continue with the buckets as that's what we do as responsible fish owners!! (changing 50% every day of a 75 gal cycling with fish just about did me in !!)

Dozey

we have been re doing the house and the bf has all these fancy decorated type faucets (hard to explain ) but no matter what I try, even taking off the end of each faucet, I can't get the end of the python to fit...
heres an example of my kitchen sink and here is an example of my bathroom ...other than hooking it up outside to the spickets(which it does fit!!) and using cold cold water, I'm not sure what else I can do to be able to use mine any suggestions dozey?

mines already shot but I continue with the buckets as that's what we do as responsible fish owners!! (changing 50% every day of a 75 gal cycling with fish just about did me in !!)

OH I can so relate. I broke my back 20 years ago and the bucket brigade was killing me until I got the python. Nice faucets but I can see why the python won’t hook up. But I do in fact have a suggestion. Your shower head has the same thread type as any standard faucet. Sure you would have to close the shower door/curtain but it would work.

I’m actually considering switching mine to the shower head. My kitchen sink is a bit slow to drain and I’m always concerned about it overflowing. Since my largest tank is only 35 gallons there would be no risk of my tub overflowing.

Picture of standard shower head threads...

Lucy

I thought someone mentioned in one of the other threads that you can buy an adapter at one of the big chain home improvement stores.
Possibly take off the fancier faucet, attached a regular one that fits the python for water changes, then switch back. Just a thought.

shih-tzu mom

Yes, Shawnie; you can, plus they have a lot of different adapters that come with lol and you can buy at Home Depot lol, if the ones that come with -doesn't fit.-hope this helps and Lucy was right as usual lol she did hear it bella

Dozey

I thought someone mentioned in one of the other threads that you can buy an adapter at one of the big chain home improvement stores.
Possibly take off the fancier faucet, attached a regular one that fits the python for water changes, then switch back. Just a thought.

Yes, Shawnie; you can, plus they have a lot of different adapters that come with lol and you can buy at Home Depot lol, if the ones that come with -doesn't fit.-hope this helps and Lucy was right as usual lol she did hear it bella

You certainly can buy a whole host of different attachments for faucets. But some of these new fancy faucet can be really proprietor and can also be very difficult to remove the air raider. I certainly wouldn’t want to scratch up a very decorative and expensive faucet messing around with the air raider. But yes, likely there is an adaptor out there that would work.

Shawnie

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGOSH why didnt I think of the shower head!!!>>>???? I'm forever indebted dozey if that will work LOLOLOL ....ill check it out tonite as its the 75 gals turn for a clean up....lucy and belle, these sinks are funky and have a hose type thingy ...so hard to explain but ive so tried to see if you can remove something to put an attachment on it

shih-tzu mom

Shawnie-try for the bathroom lol that would be the place rather then damage your new taps, but I know for sure there is all different kinds of attachments for them so here's hoping for you .You might even find one at your lfs-but not cost effective lol good luck and keep us posted, you won't be sorry with 75-gallons bella

Dozey

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGOSH why didnt I think of the shower head!!!>>>???? I'm forever indebted dozey if that will work LOLOLOL ....ill check it out tonite as its the 75 gals turn for a clean up....lucy and belle, these sinks are funky and have a hose type thingy ...so hard to explain but ive so tried to see if you can remove something to put an attachment on it

Shawnie

no laughing and I mean it!!
BUT.................... the um man that I love with all my heart, and that has given me a great life and adapted to my obsessive fish addiction, THREW OUT MY PYTHON because it didnt fit our faucets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why the heck didnt we think of the shower head grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I'm going for a really strong double in the kitchen!! (now after an hour and half of hauling 5 gal buckets to clean my 75 gal again!!) :;b

Lucy

Wait till he has to do 'his' tank. You'll have a new python in no time.

Dozey

He threw out your python… Well that’s worth a weekend in Niagara Falls and some serious sucking up.

Shawnie

hahahaah I do all the tanks because he pays for all the expenses...so I'm outta luck there!! I do like the Niagara falls idea tho..but at this point, ill take FLA instead!! (I'm so frustrated he threw it out still!!!!!)

Dozey

DOH I should have thought… Who the heck wants to be in Niagara this time of year? Other then the great wines its cold! Florida is a much better idea!

Oops, did we hi-jack a thread??? To the original poster you should do daily wine changes while in Florida. Gees does that sound right?

IIIHawKIII

I use my python to suck it out, but gallon jugs to put it back in. and treat each gallon every time.

mlfly

I was real nervous about the Python filling the tank at first. But, I test after each filling and the prime put in the tank as I'm adding water is doing its job. I used buckets for a while. After you've used a Python a few times, you'll torch the buckets.

But, there are some things to be prepared for. The first time I used it I opened the check valve with water pressure on and the hose aimed without regard for what I was pointing it at. If you ever need a way to bathe a Sheltie quickly, I'd check this out.

Second time, I avoided the dog but didn't learn my lesson and it was pointed to the couch. I'm sure you can guess.

Third time, all was well. It's a wonderful tool. Use with a sense of humor

Mike

Dozey

I was real nervous about the Python filling the tank at first. But, I test after each filling and the prime put in the tank as I'm adding water is doing its job. I used buckets for a while. After you've used a Python a few times, you'll torch the buckets.

But, there are some things to be prepared for. The first time I used it I opened the check valve with water pressure on and the hose aimed without regard for what I was pointing it at. If you ever need a way to bathe a Sheltie quickly, I'd check this out.

Second time, I avoided the dog but didn't learn my lesson and it was pointed to the couch. I'm sure you can guess.

Third time, all was well. It's a wonderful tool. Use with a sense of humor

Mike

I didn’t soak the dog, the cat or the couch but I can definitely say a few of my gilled friends were a little less then impressed with my performance on my first attempt. Well alright my first few attempts. Opening the valve is certainly up there with turning on a fire hose.

Beth1965

OH MY!!!! I am SOOOOOOOOO glad that I found this thread!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

Regal

Joe,
I have the same concerns about losing my cycle filling my tank with a hose. The python is so expensive too.

Dozey,
Just a thought that occurred to me about the shower head. Would you have to put new teflon tape on the shower head each time you took it off to do a water change?

Shawne,
I see your problem with your faucets. Do you have a laundry tub? That faucet would be threaded. BTW do you mind me asking why you have to do daily water changes on your 75 gallon. That would seriously kill me I think. lol
He threw it out? My hubby would be toast after that one lol

Dozey

Dozey,
Just a thought that occurred to me about the shower head. Would you have to put new teflon tape on the shower head each time you took it off to do a water change?

If you have a decent gasket in your shower head you really shouldn't need teflon tape. I don't use any on my shower head. You might want to keep a few spare gaskets on hand as removing and reattaching the shower head certainly will wear out your gaskets more often then under normal use.

jusfishinaround

I have actually been thinking along these lines myself (with the shower that is) I think I might try to use one of those Y things that attach to your outside faucet. Then just mount the shower head on one and the "python" on the other and just use the diverters to manipulate the flow of water from the shower head to the python. If you have the room in the shower you may even be able to leave it hooked up permanently and just coil it up and hang it on a hook...at least those are thoughts that have been going through my own mind.

Stephen 31

Besides the problem with actually attaching the hose and creating the vacuum, I thought that chlorine killed the good bacteria.....so how is it ok to put untreated water into the tank? even if it is treated after.

kwesdog

I have been using a python and going straight into the tank with it and it hasnt done anything to my cycle at all.

I do like the others have been doing and put a whole tanks worth of prime (enough to treat 55 gallons) in while I am adding the tap water and it works great. I never have to removed the hose from the tank and never get more than a couple of drips of water on the floor doing it this way.

Harry

summersquash

OOOPS I don't understand why you have to treat the whole tank if you use the python. I just put enough Stress Coat in my tank to match the amount of water I take from the tank. Am I to understand you have to put enough in to treat the whole 55 gal tank? I have not been treating the whole tank but fish all are doing well. I have used the python the last three weeks. Should I add more stress coat now or wait till I clean my tank next week. I usually take a third of the water out each week and add more. I guess I didn't read up on the python enough before using. But I do love it.

SWilkins

Well I can't use a Python thanks to a septic tank. So it is buckets out the door siphoning with the gravel vac. Of course my plants outside love it. I do hook a drinking water safe hose (2 really) to my shower and do my refills from there. Boy does that help. I have to say I have only been putting enough Prime or Stress Coat in for the new amount of water. All parameters seem fine but I will keep an eye on it.

DE88ROX

no laughing and I mean it!!
BUT.................... the um man that I love with all my heart, and that has given me a great life and adapted to my obsessive fish addiction, THREW OUT MY PYTHON because it didnt fit our faucets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why the heck didnt we think of the shower head grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I'm going for a really strong double in the kitchen!! (now after an hour and half of hauling 5 gal buckets to clean my 75 gal again!!) :;b

I would buy him a new Python for his birthday! or perhaps Christmas if his birthday has passed!!

lol To Funny!

lousieg55

Has any one tried to make one of these looks like a pretty simple set up that you could make for a lot cheaper??

Dozey

I have been using a python and going straight into the tank with it and it hasnt done anything to my cycle at all.

I do like the others have been doing and put a whole tanks worth of prime (enough to treat 55 gallons) in while I am adding the tap water and it works great. I never have to removed the hose from the tank and never get more than a couple of drips of water on the floor doing it this way.

Harry

OOOPS I don't understand why you have to treat the whole tank if you use the python. I just put enough Stress Coat in my tank to match the amount of water I take from the tank. Am I to understand you have to put enough in to treat the whole 55 gal tank? I have not been treating the whole tank but fish all are doing well. I have used the python the last three weeks. Should I add more stress coat now or wait till I clean my tank next week. I usually take a third of the water out each week and add more. I guess I didn't read up on the python enough before using. But I do love it.

If you are using buckets you only need to add enough Prime (SC+) to treat the water in the bucket. It is not the Python instruction that suggests treating the entire aquarium volume but rather the conditions’ instructions.

I would think this is likely because you can not pre-treat the new water and regardless of how you try to add incoming water it will disperse through the aquarium. As both these conditioners will instantly treat water by providing enough conditioner to treat the entire volume there is no risk newly added water going untreated.

Here is not the entire instructions from a bottle of Prime but rather just the part that refers to this discussion.

May be added to aquarium directly, bet better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium base dose on aquarium volume.

quarterback13

when I do a water change can I put the ammonia remover in after I finish or do I need to add it as I am adding water. I know I will need treat the whole tank not just the water I replaced but if I add it immediately after finishing adding the water will it be ok and not harm fish .

Dozey

when I do a water change can I put the ammonia remover in after I finish or do I need to add it as I am adding water. I know I will need treat the whole tank not just the water I replaced but if I add it immediately after finishing adding the water will it be ok and not harm fish .

My thought is to add the conditioner first. This will ensure that the water being added is treated immediately as it is being added. By waiting until the water is added your fish and bacteria will be exposed to chlorine for a brief period of time.

DE88ROX

Has any one tried to make one of these looks like a pretty simple set up that you could make for a lot cheaper??

I probably could. I have never seen a Python but I would dare say that the system works just like my waterbed fill kit. To drian the water you put this adapter on your faucet and run the wtar thus creating a vacuum.

I have never used the fill kit though. I recently had to drain my bed and just hooked the hose up directly and syphoned it right out my window.

It only takes me about 15- 20 minutes to do a pwc/gravel vac. About (2½ buckets) So using buckets isn't bad. But using a hose to add water I would think woudl be less stressful on the fish due to all the splashing.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dennis57
Replies
Views
Nataku
Replies
Views
skitchin1
Replies
Views