Water changes today!

1. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. It's water change day for all of my tanks! :happy0064:I always look forward to this.:animal0028: I'm like a kid with a new toy every week! I just can't help myself! :whistling: It will be Wriggley's first water change. I got the instant cycle I was hoping for by seeding his filter and tank.:happy0034:For his tank I'm just going to remove 1g today. I want him to adapt more to his new home before I do a larger change. I'll vacuum once his substrate/gravel has a good build up of good bacteria too. I plan on changing 2g's per week. This will completely change out his tank every month and then some. I've decided to use my acclimation kit:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16100

to add his new water. I replaced the tubing that came with the acclimation kit to a longer one so I can go from tank to tank. Each tank having their own tubing. Since Wriggley's tank is acrylic (my first acrylic tank) I'm going to use a white, brand new from the package, never seen soap, 100% cotton T-shirt to wipe down the front panel and 2 side panels. I don't touch the back panels in any of my tanks. I like algae there! :) I think it is beneficial to any fresh water tank. (JMO). I bought an algae scraper for acrylic tanks but I'm afraid to use it. Granted it is a bit softer than the scraper I have for my other tanks but it just isn't soft enough for my liking. If I scratch my new tank I'm going to :;frupull Chef's hair out! LOL. I think using the acclimation kit will be less stressful for my new boy. I'll drip the new water into the filter so it will actually be filtered again before it goes into the tank. I won't disturb his filter floss or media for a couple of more weeks and even then I'll only change my floss (batting material) as I don't depend on the floss for bio media in any of my tanks.

The 265g will be easy to change today. Changing out 25g's, clean the glass and change all filter floss. Change carbon (every 3 weeks). No vacuuming this week. I vacuum 1/3 of the tank every week for 3 weeks then I don't vacuum for 2 weeks and then I start all over. :) This gives my sutstrate a chance to regain all the good bacteria during this period. I never vacuum my entire tank at one time. I don't over feed my fish (by feeding once a day), I have top, middle and bottom feeders which also helps. Once a month (or whenever I deem it necessary) I use my Diatom XL with diatomaceous earth for 6 hours (has 400gph). Ahhhh crystal clear water! :)

The 26g bow front, planted, Gold Fish tank will get a water change 3 gallons, clean glass, change filter floss and carbon. I vacuum 1/2 of this tank (where there are no plants in the substrate) every 2 weeks. I do not vacuum the 1/2 tank where my live anubia is planted. The waste in this 1/2 of the tank I leave to nourish my anubia, marimo balls and floating moss balls. I just run the vacuum over the top of the gravel to stir it up a bit, around my plant. It's thriving! They all are and I'm so proud :) I never thought I would be able to have live plants. I don't do anything special for them other than leave the substrate in that section of the tank alone. All low light plants. I use a Diatom D1 filter with diatomaceous earth once a month on this tank (250gph) for 4 hours.

When all is said and done, I treat all of the tanks with the proper dosage of Amquel +, Nova Aqua +and Immune Plus. These are the only 3 chemicals I use and the only 3 I've used in the past 10 years.

My 29g water tank. This is where I prep my water for my water changes. It's fresh well water every week treated with the above chemicals I mentioned. It's filtered with an Aqua Clear 50, floss and carbon. Just prior to it going into my tanks I use my Diatom D1 filter (250gph)with diatomaceous earth for about an hour so it's "cootie" free. (I could watch TV looking through the tank, it's that clear)

Put your snow shoes on...warm up the dog sleds, don't forget your siphons and come on down!!!!! :shock:
    Ken

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Wow Ken. I bet that takes all day!
    I have some water changes to do today also.
    I can't wait until my babies get bigger and trim down a few of these small tanks.

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Wow, Ken! It sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun today:)

We finished our changes yesterday, but it's not nearly as involved for us.

I really commend you for all the extra effort you put in for the well-being of your fish:anim_19:

They are truly blessed to have you as their "Daddy":;toast

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

wow... i envision you in fishing waders... lol

5. David C Well Known Member Member

I'm jealous. I only have 3 tanks to change today, wish I could help out with yours, it sounds like a blast :)

Dave

6. Borisbbadd Guest

I usually do changes on Sundays.
    This week I have to work, so I'll probably do them today.

7. GMCMaxx Member Member

I just finished changing water in my 55g. Although, I don't share your enthusiasm. I enjoy the fish much more than I enjoy cleaning their home.

edit: spelling

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

All done. :;toast 5 hours worth of work for a week full of enjoyment. I don't think that's too bad :)

Wriggley acts as though nothing fazed him which is exactly what I was hoping for. :) While his new water was dripping into the filter (90 minutes) I went ahead and got started on the 265g. I went ahead and vacuumed 1/3 of it instead of waiting another week. It's nice being able to look up and under the tank to see where it needs to be vacuumed the most. I didn't swallow any water today! I'm surprised! lol Although I did have a small spill on the floor (tile no big deal).

Maybe :;santaclaus will bring me waders for Christmas?:whistling:

I've managed to get my 29g water tank, Wriggley's 6.6g tank and my 265g tank all to the same temperature within 1 degree if not closer! Now that I have gold fish and their tank isn't heated I actually have to cool their water down by putting it in jugs (4) and setting them in cold water. No big deal. Takes 10 minutes.

Doh! Do I feel a photo shoot coming on? hmmmmm
    (maybe later).
    Have a good day everyone!
    Ken