Water Changes, Nitrates, Minerals Question

1. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

As if you guys don't get enough water change questions, lol.
    So in my 60g, I get maybe a single nitrate a week. Really small, almost nothing. I'd like to raise that a bit for some new plants I got that are showing signs of nitrogen deficiency, but I don't want to compromise my fish. I know water changes are done to reduce nitrates and replace essential minerals, as well as preventing fertilizer build up. I dose flourish comprehensive generally once a week, sometimes twice. Could this substitute for some of those needed minerals for a few weeks while I build up my nitrates? The TDS is already way off from my tap because my tap has zero kH, so I've veen buffering it up.

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

I believe flourish has nitrate in it. Don't quote me on that though.

3. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Hahaha, wow in that case I guess I just have the cleanest goldfish....
    I'm probably getting some hillstream loaches soon, those may help a bit, but in the meantime, would it be harmful to hold out on water changes?

4. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

The hillstreams will produce more nitrate, correct.

How many goldfish do you have? What type?

5. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Honestly i push my water changes to monthly but i have a light stocking. Its all about balance in meeting the needs of the fish and your plants. So you could try every other week and test and see were your at. You will find a happy medium.

6. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

So, don't freak on me, but the way I got into the hobby was I won a goldfish at a fair (bet you can see where this is going) and kept the fish in a bowl for almost exactly two years. So I have a severely stunted common goldfish, three amano shrimp, and two mystery snails.
    Thanks David, that's very reassuring, I appreciate it!