Water Changes Needed

squish123

I test my water every few days or so. The last test all was great. The fish are happy and the past few weeks the fish are finally swimming around, playing with each other and the plants are very healthy too.

So, if your tank is doing so well, are water changes really needed? Why disturb this when all is good. I do clean the glass of any excess algae. But some algae is good so don't get rid of it all.

I remember when I had my fish years ago, the water was fine and I didn't do a water change for months. Everything was working well. Only test kits back then where for ph and ammonia.

Why does everyone push water changes every other day or week.

Azedenkae

I test my water every few days or so. The last test all was great. The fish are happy and the past few weeks the fish are finally swimming around, playing with each other and the plants are very healthy too.

So, if your tank is doing so well, are water changes really needed? Why disturb this when all is good. I do clean the glass of any excess algae. But some algae is good so don't get rid of it all.

I remember when I had my fish years ago, the water was fine and I didn't do a water change for months. Everything was working well. Only test kits back then where for ph and ammonia.

Why does everyone push water changes every other day or week.
Because there are things you cannot test.

Yes there are plenty of people who do not do water changes for a longggg time. Myself included. Even in a heavily stocked cichlid tank, I do a water change like every half a year.

But we're probably pushing it tbh. :3

StarGirl

Well first, water changes replace minerals the fish and plants need also.

Second you said there were no Nitrate tests back then. I bet yours were through the roof. Fish can get used to and act normal with some pretty high Nitrates. It doesn't mean it is good for them. So why push it.

The only time someone suggests water changes every other day is when they are battling fin rot, cycling or for fry. Once a week is what most suggest unless you have high maintenance fish.

jtjgg

maximum allowable nitrate in drinking water is 40mg/L or 40ppm. long term elevated levels of nitrate have negative effects on fish.

even if you have lots of plants to consume most/all of the ntirate, there are still other wastes in the tank, like dissolved organic compounds, and build up of heavy metals, and calcium/carbonates. And as StarGirl mentioned, water changes replenish trace minerals.

CHJ

Well first, water changes replace minerals the fish and plants need also.

Second you said there were no Nitrate tests back then. I bet yours were through the roof. Fish can get used to and act normal with some pretty high Nitrates. It doesn't mean it is good for them. So why push it.

The only time someone suggests water changes every other day is when they are battling fin rot, cycling or for fry. Once a week is what most suggest unless you have high maintenance fish.
I find Discus keepers are the ones who get competitive about their water changes. Crazy water change claims from Discus folk. They turned white when I answered their "How to you keep yours breeding all the time?" with "I never do water changes.".

Lots of plants to sponge the nitrates. While top offs add new water I have always heard "you need to do water changes replenish trace minerals" but what minerals am I getting out of the tap that I'm not getting out of fish food? An even bigger question would be "What minerals am I getting out of the tap that I'm not getting out of fish food, when my tap is rocking 25 TDS soft?" or "What minerals am I getting out of the water changes, that I'm not getting out of fish food, when I refill with RO?"
Grumble grumble grumble the city changed the water and now it has gained an order of magnitude in TDS... First the chloramine, now this, stupid city.

jtjgg

some minerals found in tap water, some may or may not be in fish food or may not be enough: Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Boron, Chromium, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Sodium, Sulfur & Zinc.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Salem
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
  • Question
Replies
Views
itscprince
Replies