Water Changes In A Qt

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Igor95, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Igor95

Igor95 Well Known Member Member

How often should I do water changes in a qt. Just did a 25% monthly change for my main tank, and was wondering if I should do the same for the qt, or maybe 25% weekly. Both tanks are cycled obviously

2. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

I would be doing even more frequent water changes on a QT. Even on your main tank actually. I do at least 50% weekly on all my tanks :)

3. OP
    OP
    Igor95

If the parameters are in check, I see no reason to do water changes on my main tank often. Its lightly stocked, and slightly planted, so the nitrates haven't exceeded 20ppm

4. Lchi87

Well for what its worth, the purpose of water changes isn't just to keep your parameters in check. It also replenishes trace elements and minerals found in water that both fish and plants utilize and deplete. But its all good if it works for you; personally I wouldn't limit my water changes to once a month.

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

IMO, an aquarist should do a 25-50% water change each week. I don't think it's safe for you to wait for the dangerous levels to show up in the test kit because by the time you know there's ammonia in your tank, your fish are already suffering. So, it's best to do 25-50% weekly water changes just in case. I myself do 50% weekly.

6. FishandFun

FishandFun Valued Member Member

My lfs recommends 25% every 7-10 days. Now that I have that info my fish are a lot happier.

7. OP
    OP
    Igor95

Ok, will switch to 25% a week, thanks

8. OP
    OP
    Igor95

How about the QT? Thread got kind of derailed

9. Lchi87

The QT I would do at least weekly but there's a bit of grey area here so its hard to give a solid number. If you have new batches of fish coming in and using it regularly, I'd be doing every two days. If it was housing a sick fish, I'd be most likely doing it daily.

10. OP
    OP
    Igor95

I have 4 kuhlis ( 1 died ) and 5 sterbais qt'ing to add to the main tank, so like 10% every couple days should be good?

11. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds good to me

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice