Water Changes For Shrimp Nano?

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Katepete722, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Katepete722

Katepete722 New Member Member

Hi everyone!

I am looking for some guidance on how often or if I should do water changes on my shrimp nano. My tank is a 2.5 gallon Aqueon Minibow that is currently housing 16 cherries and blue velvets. There is also some wisteria, dwarf sagg, and a bunch of hornwort and anacharis, which I added to try to give myself a cushion if anything happened to the water quality. Ammonia and nitrites are at zero and nitrates around 5. The tank is heated and filtered.

I have read that shrimp hate water changes so don't do it. I have read that with a tank so small I should be doing huge water changes all the time. I have read that prime will kill my shrimp. I have read that I definitely should use prime to take care of metals in the tap water.

So basically I'm a little lost. Right now I am going for an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach, and only doing very small (about 2 cups) water changes once a week when I top the tank off.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would be doing 30% weekly. It's not just to keep the water clean it's also to replace minerals and stop Ph getting too low.
    20% twice a week would be better. It's really easy on such a small tank.

By the way your red cherries and blue velvets can crossbreed.

3. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Not true at all. I do regular water changes (weekly) on my shrimp tank (5.5 gallon). WCs replenishes the minerals in the tank and helps encourage them to grow faster.

What you have to pay attention is the water temperature, make sure the water going in is the same temperature of the tank.

4. OP
    OP
    Katepete722

Katepete722 New Member Member

Thanks guys! I'm just paranoid with the little guys because I have accidentally murdered some shrimps in the past . But so far they seem to be doing great, so I think I can manage 20% water changes!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice