Water changes for 3 and 10 g tank

Kenzsie

Hi, only my second post here, I’m very new to the hobby.

I have a 3 and 10 gallon tank. Currently I’ve been doing 10-20% water changes weekly and a 50-60% bigger water change monthly.

currently the 3 has a betta and the 10 just has 6 plants but a ton of pest snails (I’ve been scooping them out)

the 3 I’ve had for almost 2 years and my betta seems happy, but on my other post someone recommended placing the betta in a 10 with some cardinals and an assassin snail instead of the few other fishes I was thinking of.

they also said I should be doing larger water changes more often…

my question is, what is the recommendation for water changes? How much? How often? Should they all be the same kind of water change or should I do a bunch of smaller ones daily?

Stripedbass

Water changes are case to case. Feeding, plants, bio load, fertilizer usage, and age of tank. I would keep doing what you are doing. Don’t fix a problem that doesn’t exist.

awilkinson871

The answer to your question depends. What are your water parameters in the 3 gallon? If you have any ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates higher than 20 you probably aren't doing a big enough water change. As for moving the betta- a lot depends on the type of betta. It is generally recommended that a male betta (especially with large fins) have a minimum of 5 gallons and a female a minimum of 3.5 gallons- although this is subjective and depends on the person. Others recommend male- 10 gallons, female- 5 gallons.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
2 3
Replies
Views
1201td
Replies
Views
Belphegor88
Replies
Views
devsi