Water changes and dechlorinater!

Miksb123

I've been trying to find an answer to a question I have about water changes on this forum, but I don't think I am properly wording my question correctly.
I'm wondering, when adding tap water to a tank (either to top it off or during a water change), do you add dechlor to the water before adding the water to the tank, or do you add water to the tank and then add dechlor? I haven't done any full or partial water changes yet as my tank just began cycling and I obviously don't have fish yet, but I probably will do a partial water change next week. I would assume that during a water change, it would be better to dechlorinate your tap water before adding it into the tank, however I'm not entirely sure. Just want to be safe!
That being said, if you dechlorinate tap water before putting it in the tank, how long should you let it settle before adding the water into the tank? Thank you guys in advance!

BigManAquatics

I add my dechlorinator to each pitcher as i am filling it. Then i just pour it into the tank. Haven't killed fish yet!

Upvote 0

Dechi

If you’re using a python to fill up your tank, pour the dechlorinator while filling (I pour it into the python stream).

If you’re filling with buckets, pour the dechlorinator into the bucket while filling it and then add to the tank.

Use enough dechlorinator to treat the whole tank.

Upvote 0

GlennO

If you’re using a python to fill up your tank, pour the dechlorinator while filling (I pour it into the python stream).

If you’re filling with buckets, pour the dechlorinator into the bucket while filling it and then add to the tank.

Use enough dechlorinator to treat the whole tank.

You only need to add enough to treat the whole tank if you're using your first method (dechlorinating just prior to or while filling with a hose). If you're filling with buckets you only need to treat the volume of each bucket.

Upvote 0

Dechi

You only need to add enough to treat the whole tank if you're using your first method (dechlorinating just prior to or while filling with a hose). If you're filling with buckets you only need to treat the volume of each bucket.

Yes, you’re right. I always add more but it’s just an extra precaution.

Upvote 0

GlennO

That being said, if you dechlorinate tap water before putting it in the tank, how long should you let it settle before adding the water into the tank? Thank you guys in advance!

Btw it doesn't require any settling time. I just give the bucket a swish with my hand to stir it after adding.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

As an aside, If you're tap water is hard, you may want to use RO to replace evaporated water. Otherwise, the water in your tank could get too hard eventually.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

I've been trying to find an answer to a question I have about water changes on this forum, but I don't think I am properly wording my question correctly.
I'm wondering, when adding tap water to a tank (either to top it off or during a water change), do you add dechlor to the water before adding the water to the tank, or do you add water to the tank and then add dechlor? I haven't done any full or partial water changes yet as my tank just began cycling and I obviously don't have fish yet, but I probably will do a partial water change next week. I would assume that during a water change, it would be better to dechlorinate your tap water before adding it into the tank, however I'm not entirely sure. Just want to be safe!
I do it before. I go to the sink, fill the bucket, add dechlorinater, and then fill.

Upvote 0

Miksb123

Thanks guys! I figured as much, just always want to double and triple check everything I'm doing since I'm still just starting out. I appreciate the feedback as always!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
devsi
Replies
Views
ProJadeX
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl