Water Changes And Conditioner Question

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Mongo75, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Mongo75

Mongo75Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +255
    I just changed from Top Fin conditioner to Prime. The Top Fin was easy, 1ml to 1 gallon. Five ml and 10ml lines on the cap. Easy peasy, add 5ml to each bucket. Five gallon bucket and 1/2 capful, 5ml.

Prime, 1 ml to 10 gallons. No lines on cap. Count threads! What's with that? Top of the thread, bottom of the thread, between threads? They can't afford a cap with measuring lines?

I have a 20g tank and figure 2 to 3 gallons displaced by substrate and whatnot, so basically, 17 or so gallons of water. Still cycling so I change 3 buckets (4-4.5g each) each water change and call it 75%.

So here's my real question. When to add the Prime? I see 4 options.
    1. Before the water change.
    2. After water change? I don't think so!
    3. Mix it with the first bucket and the next 2 buckets will be ok? With me, that's 5 to 15 minutes between buckets. Is that ok? That's what I'm doing now.
    4. Try to guess how many drops to add to each bucket? There we go, counting threads again! PITA!
    What's the best time to add the Prime?

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,155
    Experience:
    2 years
    I use a water changer so I add my Prime then get the water flowing back into the tank. I think each thread on the inside of the prime cap is 1 ml. It doesn’t hurt to ad a drop or 2 extra. You can technically add up to 5X the dosage of prime say if your cycling and need to keep the ammonia n nitrites in check. Up to 1ppm

3. JenC

JenCWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,063
    2 drops per gallon of Prime is the standard recommendation. I dose each bucket as it's filling up.

I keep Prime in little bottles by my sinks. It keeps me from lugging the big bottle around and makes counting drops easy and quick. The little squeeze bottles I use average a bit more than 2 drops needed per gallon so I just round up. A bit extra won't hurt as @kallililly1973 said.

IMG_20190808_1252408.

4. OP
    OP
    Mongo75

Mongo75Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +255
    JenC, great suggestion on the bottles. Also good to know the "drops" per gallon. I much prefer treating each bucket rather than doing a bulk treatment and hoping all goes well.

5. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,511
    Experience:
    2 years
    option #3 is fine. i have a 75g tank and a 150g stock tank, it takes over 5-6 minutes to fill up the 75g, and it takes over 10-12 minutes to fill up the 150g. i stick the hose in the tank and turn on the water and add the full dose of Prime, really not much difference than option #3.

6. LMO

LMOValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +98
    Experience:
    3 years
    I use a 2.5ml syringe to add prime to buckets during water changes - measures in 0.1ml increments so its very easy to measure how much prime you're adding.

7. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +872
    Yes this. I use a syringe too. Accurately doses Prime and Ferts

8. GlennO

GlennOValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +219
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I also use a syringe if I’m dosing buckets. A syringe is very handy to have for lots of things, from feeding fry to dosing all sorts of stuff.