water changes and conditioner after a cycle.

1. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I just finished a week with TSS after trying to cycle with fish for about 6 weeks. After the TSS my ammonia and nitrites were at 0 and nitrates were around 10. How long should I wait before I start up with the routine water changes. It has been about 10 days since the last water change.

Also I recently obtained a Python that I am using for water changes. My plan was to drain out % or water. Then add conditioner to the tank and then add the water (city tap water). If I am doing water changes every week to two weeks should I add enough conditioner to treat 75 gallons or is this overkill and I should only add enough to condition the amount I am putting back in? When I was doing daily water changes during the fish in cycle I only put in enough conditioner for the water I was changing as to not over do it. But every ten days or so I didn't think it would hurt to condition for 75 gallons to avoid the chlorine from the city water messing up my bacteria.
    Thanks

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Go ahead and dose dechlorinator for the entire volume of the tank, since you are using a Python. I do 50% weekly water changes this way with no problems. IMO you can go ahead and start up a regular water change schedule.

3. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

I second harpua's suggestions.
    Good luck.