Water changes ammo lock and conditioner

TRAVIS00

I'm just about ready to perform this weeks partial water change.

I added 10ml of ammo lock to my tank December 30th due to an ammonia spike

I want to change my water and condition it. Can I go ahead and do this or will the ammo lock not combine well with it?

Also the ammo lock calls to be added again tomorrow.

Jaysee

What are the names of the products? Most water conditioners have the ammonia locking agent, so you do not need to dose with anything else.

TRAVIS00

Jaysee said:
What are the names of the products? Most water conditioners have the ammonia locking agent, so you do not need to dose with anything else.
API is the brand. so I can change the water and just add the ammo lock and don't use the conditioner?

catsma_97504

Are you still using Aqueon Water Conditoner? If so, you do not need the AmmoLock as the water conditioner will detox the ammonia.

What are your current water parameters? Test strips are notoriously inaccurate. You need to use a quality liquid test kit.

Alasse

An ammonia locker doesn't remove the ammonia just makes it less toxic, not completely harmless. In most cases the tank will test high for ammonia even when these are used.

TRAVIS00

catsma_97504 said:
Are you still using Aqueon Water Conditoner? If so, you do not need the AmmoLock as the water conditioner will detox the ammonia.

What are your current water parameters? Test strips are notoriously inaccurate. You need to use a quality liquid test kit.
so I bought the ammo lock for no reason since I already have water conditioner?

catsma_97504

Possibly. I definitely would not use both at the same time. There are many water conditioners that do not detox ammonia, so this product does have its use.

Your tank has been running for only a couple of months now. Did it ever completely cycle? Have you rinsed off your filter media or replaced the carbon yet?

I do not see that you've posted your water parameters yet. What exactly are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, water temperature readings?

TRAVIS00

catsma_97504 said:
Possibly. I definitely would not use both at the same time. There are many water conditioners that do not detox ammonia, so this product does have its use.

Your tank has been running for only a couple of months now. Did it ever completely cycle? Have you rinsed off your filter media or replaced the carbon yet?

I do not see that you've posted your water parameters yet. What exactly are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, water temperature readings?
I've replaced the whole filter because I only had a 10 gallon filter in a 20 gallon tank ive upgraded to the aquaclear 50. today I'm doing a water change and adding the ammo lock. I'm also on my way to petco to get a check valve for my air pump so I can move it to the dresser. its currently on top of the hood of the tank. if I move it to the desk I can add my old 10 gallon filter for extra filtration

catsma_97504

If you didn't move your filter floss into the new filter, then your tank is starting over with the cycling process. Most of your bacteria colonize in the filter. This explains why you have measurable ammonia.

How long has your 10G filter been turned off and out of the water? If it has only been a day or two, then I'd strongly suggest you make room to get it going on that tank....along side your new filter. This will help your cycle move faster. Otherwise, you are looking at daily water changes for a month or longer.

When doing a water change, you need to use water conditioner, no ammo lock. Otherwise, you will be exposing your fish to chlorine and other bad stuff that is in our water supply.

Good luck!

TRAVIS00

catsma_97504 said:
If you didn't move your filter floss into the new filter, then your tank is starting over with the cycling process. Most of your bacteria colonize in the filter. This explains why you have measurable ammonia.

How long has your 10G filter been turned off and out of the water? If it has only been a day or two, then I'd strongly suggest you make room to get it going on that tank....along side your new filter. This will help your cycle move faster. Otherwise, you are looking at daily water changes for a month or longer.

When doing a water change, you need to use water conditioner, no ammo lock. Otherwise, you will be exposing your fish to chlorine and other bad stuff that is in our water supply.

Good luck!
hey thanks so much for the reply. I conditioned my water every time ive changed it. the 10G filter has been off and out of water since the 23rd. I am hooking it back up in a few hours. I just wasn't sure if I should be using both the ammo lock and conditioner or either one of the two.

Top Bottom