Water Changes...am I Even Doing Them Right?!

motherofbettas
Y'all I've been working to get my rosetail to recover from fin rot for almost 2 months now;

There's a lot of factors that I've done my best to research and cure and that combo includes:

• Filter output current being too strong // fixed with a water bottle
• Thanks to my new API FWMK I found out that he's most likely also been biting because when we moved the ph jumped up a bit but he's seemed to adjusted.
•25%-30% water changes every other day.

But here's the thing: am I supposed to be doing gravel vacs every water change? Cause I've only been doing them once a week. Please help. I'm not confident enough in my abilities to do a salt bath {the idea of doing it wrong sends my anxiety through the roof}, so that's out. Please please please help!! I'll include before and after pics, and I've had him since May {and yes he was a Vase Decoration. ‍♀️} my poor little guy

IMG_5381.JPG

Image1520533451.882681.jpg

Aqua Hands
I can help by answering the fact that you are doing water changes correctly! If you want you can do 2 water changes a week and it might help. But, I for some reason never get dieases exact ich which is always a problem in my hospital/Isolation tank!

Rachel K
I think you should seriously consider either bettafix or adding salt to your aquarium, even if is scares you adding a little salt could potentially benefit you. I cured my betta's fin rot with only salt.

Gravel vac-ing really helps clean the tank, but I think that once a week is plenty for a betta in a 10 gallon. One tip as well that I would like to mention with water changes, especially if you are doing them frequently, is to make sure that the water you are adding to the fish tank is the same temperature as the water in the fish tank, otherwise this could cause stress.

Your betta looks like a really pretty guy I hope he feels better!

Rojer Ramjet
First, and foremost, PLEASE DO NOT USE "AQUARIUM SALT;" it ain't "aquarium salt;" it's bulk rock salt of dubious quality often times with massive amounts of undesirable contaminants. Only ever use synthetic sea salt for treating your fish or for making brackish water.

Secondly, 1.002sg can be tolerated, long term, by almost all freshwater fish; most plants and inverts can also stay in this salinity. 1.002 is considered to be a therapeutic sg for sick fish; for your one gallon bowl, you would add 1.75 level teaspoons of salt (mixed into water first - don't add salt directly to the bowl).

Use this calculator to determine how much salt to use for your volume of water and target sg. Direct Salt Addition Calculator

Also, I'd consider getting him a filter and heater; they like well filtered warm water.

TexasDomer
I wouldn't use Bettafix (basically useless, as it's a very diluted herbal treatment) or salt. Rosetails are prone to fin issues because of their long, heavy, and full tails - some people consider breeding rosetails cruel because of their heavy tails and associated problems. I would continue with the every other day water changes (25-50%, and gravel vac'ing once a week is fine!) and consider an antibiotic. Is he still biting his tail?

The plant that you have in the first pic isn't aquatic and will die if kept underwater. I'd take it out and replace it with an aquatic plant

Is the tank heated? Do you know water parameters? pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates

Rojer Ramjet
Pretty sure that plant is Dracenea - lucky bamboo it's sometimes called. It must have some portion of the leaves out of the water or it'll drown and decompose.

A petite anubia would be far better.

TexasDomer
I think lucky bamboo is usually used to refer to something else, but neither are aquatic, so it doesn't matter too much I know the stem of lucky bamboo can be submerged if the leaves are dry, but I don't know about the Dracenea.

Dave125g
The PH swing from moving would understandably stress him out and led to illness.

Your doing your water changes correctly. As far as daily water changes to treat fin rot... It does work, but it works better if you change more then 50% daily. Is your tap water ph the same as the tank ph? If it is I would change a large amount of water daily and see if his fin rot clears up.

motherofbettas
Thank you guys so much for all the responses so quickly! I'm unbelievably thrilled to find out I'm doing the water changes right, and I'm going to start doing 50% water changes every other day.

I'll try to get to everyone's questions and remarks, but I'm sorry if I miss anything:
  • Just to clarify, Rhaegal no longer lives in the one gallon vase, he has been moved to a cycled, heated, and filtered 10 gallon tank. Water params are at 0/0/0, I checked them last night.
  • The Lucky Bamboo did have leaves out of the water, but I quickly got rid of it when I learned that I needed to upgrade him, also I have NEVER had a green thumb so live plants and I are wary of each other. I would eventually love to have a planted aquarium because I know they really can benefit the water and the fish who in live in it, but I think I should tackle the fin issues first before I add even more to my stress level. {lol would you believe me that I got into this because "fishkeeping is such a soothing hobby, it will help my anxiety...."ha. but if the Husband asks, it's oh so relaxing.... }
  • Ph has gone up but it has stayed consistent. I think he has adjusted quite well to it, now if we can only deal with the fin rot.
Also, I have a male veiltail in QT that I'm terrified is starting to develop fin rot as well {WHY UNIVERSE?!} and if I go ahead and add him to the divided tank will 50% water changes every other day be enough to treat them both? Btw Veiltail has the earliest beginning signs so I'm hoping to nip it in the bud.

Again thank you for all the comments and the kindness about my stupidity...I've hesitated posting on here for a long time because of the potential backlash, so thank you!

Rosetails are prone to fin issues because of their long, heavy, and full tails - some people consider breeding rosetails cruel because of their heavy tails and associated problems.
That's awful, especially cause they are my favorite fin type of Betta.

Rojer Ramjet
I think lucky bamboo is usually used to refer to something else, but neither are aquatic, so it doesn't matter too much I know the stem of lucky bamboo can be submerged if the leaves are dry, but I don't know about the Dracenea.

I've a lot of experience with dracanea; I used to keep ripariums for mudskippers and crabs.

Lucky bamboo has no definition, and none sold are actually bamboo; pretty sure that all are a kind of dracanea though. The curly kind is dracenea sanderiana, the straight kind is dracanea braunii, and this kind is called Dracanea spp.

TexasDomer
50% every other day is a good treatment for the other one as well, though I would consider moving to daily if you can. It can take a few weeks to see improvement either way though.

Dave125g
Agree with Domer. I also wouldn't move them into the same tank until both are healthy.

motherofbettas
Agree with Domer. I also wouldn't move them into the same tank until both are healthy.

Ok, Betta 2 who is potentially developing fin rot is a 1.5 QT and even with daily water changes his water params are still high {bearable, but stressful} so I was thinking better to move him to cleaner more stable environment despite Betta 1 having pretty terrible fin rot...thoughts??

TexasDomer
Since the both only have fin rot and the treatment would be the same for them, I think it's fine to put them in the divided tank. If they had different issues, I'd say don't, but since they have the same thing, I don't think it's a big deal.

motherofbettas
Thank you, thank you! I'll most likely be moving him in this weekend!

Dave125g
2 sick fish with seemingly the same illness may not necessarily have the same thing. This is why it's not a good idea to put them together. That being said if you can't keep the 1.5 gallon pristine putting them together may be the best option. Keep in mind your doubling the bioload in that tank, so 50% water changes daily is you best bet to be successful.

motherofbettas
2 sick fish with seemingly the same illness may not necessarily have the same thing. This is why it's not a good idea to put them together. That being said if you can't keep the 1.5 gallon pristine putting them together may be the best option. Keep in mind your doubling the bioload in that tank, so 50% water changes daily is you best bet to be successful.

Thank you that's the new plan. With the 1.5 gallon being so small it's really hard to keep water params at suitable levels I think that is what is causing the beginnings of fin rot with Betta 2

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
emmysjj
Replies
Views
bettasXD
Replies
Views
Sean Smith
Top Bottom