Water Changes After Fish Dies? Ammonia Problem? Please Help

1. Walshytron

Walshytron Initiate Member

Hi all I'm new here. I have a 37 litre tropical tank with 4 tetras a guppy and a danios. I am testing the water and it has low ammonia so I am doing water changes daily. However the guppy is getting black spots on it and I'm worried they are ammonia burns. Also a fish died today and I am wondering how much of a water changes is best to do seeing as I've already done one yesterday because of slightly higher ammonia. The tests don't ever say it's at scarily large levels so I also don't understand the black spots on the guppy. Thanks for any help

2. M

Manjit Member Member

what are your other parameters... can we see a picture...
    what kind of tetra are they... Is your tank cycled... have you reacently used any chemical product in your aquarium..?

If there is ammonia spike I would do 40-50% water change depending on ammonia levels...
    check daily for your parmrters and please post your parameters...

as for black spots...
    Guppies get black spots on there body as they mature...
    these black spots are symetric... present on both sides...
    I think you might have stocking issues

3. OP
    OP
    Walshytron

Hiya. Other parameters are ph 6.4,kh 50,gh50,nitrate 25 and nitrite 0. Tank was cycled but added 2 fish recently . I have 3 neon tetras and one head and tail light tetra. Added tap safe and bio filter booster. Did 20% water change over the past 3 days. Ammonia is 1.0. had a goldfish that died today though from swim bladder so think ammonia may go down now hopefully. My tank was at a ok level for fish according to the point system at pets at home. Thanks!

4. C

Cory & the Catz Member Member

Not totally sure but when originally cycling PH under 7.0 makes it a lot harder to cycle, now it sounds like you are going through a "mini cycle" from adding new fish. Raising PH might help restore the cycle however after try to keep PH stable. How long was your tank cycled? It takes a few weeks of stable nitrates with 0 ammonia and nitrites to be sure you are completely cycled. Hopefully you get better help as im more familiar with hard water here in FL, good luck.

5. OP
    OP
    Walshytron

My tank was cycled 2 years ago originally and I've been adding fish over that period. That's good to know anyway as I'm adding fish a couple of weeks after already adding fish when the waters stable so maybe I need to wait longer . Yeah in England we have really soft water . Thanks! Also is it ok to keep doing water changes? I worry I am Messing with the water too much to get the amonnia out

6. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

Water changes arent dangerous as long as temp and pH r matched. Can u get Prime by Seachem? Prime is a dechlorinator with the added benefits of detoxifying ammonia, nitrite and nitrate at 1ppm for 24hours. A 12g tank is far 2 small for tetras. Tetras r schooling fish and need 2 be in a group of 6 or more (Imo 10 or more is best).

7. M

Manjit Member Member

your tank is not sufficient for that many fishes... you have stocking issue... I would suggest removing some fishes or getting a bigger one... cause your aquarium is roughly 9.3 gallons or something...

8. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

What is the actual ammonia level right now? I don't see that info. Other parameters look fine other than your tank and stocking issues. The tank is too small for tetras and you don't have enough of them. You really need a 20 gallon minimum as they are swimming fish AND like to school in large numbers. Your stocking issues will probably continue to cause you grief and kill fish until you correct them.

Ammonia burns or poisoning isn't black spots and it wont show for a few days after an ammonia spike. It will be red blotches, rapid gill fanning like they are panting, cloudy eyes, their fins will get frayed looking and they wont eat. Those are ammonia poisoning symptoms.

As far as a fish dying and doing a water change, it isn't necessary UNLESS it died due to water conditions.

9. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Water changes are good for fish unless the new water is a very different Ph or temperature to the tank water.
    The point system at Pets At Home is terrible. It is basically 2 litres per inch of fish if I remember it correctly

10. OP
    OP
    Walshytron

Thanks I'll try and look for that product.

Thanks. That's a shame I was looking at getting more tetras to shoal . For such small fish I thought my tank was adequate size

That's great thanks for your advice. I didn't know my tank was too small. I was actually going to get more tetras because I know they like larger groups.