Water Changer

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I added some fish yesterday to my two tanks. And some plants today. My little Oto kept coming up to the front sucking on the glass and I could see red, I guess it's around his gills so I tested the water I had a spike. .25 ammonia and up on my Nitrites. I usually do my water changes on Sunday but we did them today. I used my Aqueon water changer DIY. I had already bought one on eBay for about $25 but it wouldn't fit my faucet. Bought another one on eBay and it wouldn't fit either. Those were the two major named water changers. Then I found this one just the attachment that goes to the sink at Petsmart for $10. Got two 10 ft half-inch tubing at Home Depot for two dollars each with a connector. Total around $14. I live in an apartment and do not have access to a hose. So water changes are now a breeze. I'm sure most of you already have one but for the new people definitely get one. I will test my water tomorrow and see how everybody is. Do plants change water parameters?

2. JessH18 Member Member

We did something really similar to this! Except even more DIY. We bought a 32 gallon Brute garbage can, 100 feet of 1 inch hose from Home Depot (my husband some how got it $10 shipped to the store for free). Since our tanks are down in the basement for now, we have access to our slop sink which has threads for a garden hose. So we're just going to connect the two together, one end in the fish tank the other going into the garbage can and make changing water so much easier!

3. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Yes with these water changers the days of dreading the water change are gone. Does anyone know if plants change the water parameters?

4. Andrew Sackett Member Member

Sorry I'm not sure if plants effect water quality, maybe it was a ph crash, do you have soft water? Other than that I'm not sure I'm no pro but ill bump you up at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Plants can affect the water in two ways. firstly any and all decaying plant matter will produce ammonia and secondly they will consume nitrates and other nutrients from the substrate and water column. Personally I find that plants create an overall cleaner water for fish and i don't have to do as many water changes as without plants.

6. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Yes, but do adding new plants to the tank affect the parameters like if you add new fish?

7. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Plants should not affect the parameters in a negative way unless you have decaying leaves in the tank, at which point ammonia would start being released. They may also lower you ammonia, nitrite or nitrate levels, since plants absorb those as food. But you should never need to keep an eye on your water parameters after adding plants like you would after adding fish (unless of course your plants are dying or you have decaying leaves).