Water changer questions

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by klogue2, Dec 31, 2012.

1. klogue2Valued MemberMember

I'm going to get a water changer (maybe a diy one using a watering hose and a faucet adapter lol, the real ones are so expensive :p) for my upcoming 55g and have a couple questions:

How do you condition the water during a water change, using a water changer hose? Do you remove the fish before before refilling then condition the water, and re-add the fish? Or do you put the unconditioned water straight into the aquarium with the fish still in, then condition it? Other? Something silly that I just can't figure out.

Also, for a 55 gallon mbuna cichlid aquarium, what's a good weekly water change amount? I was thinking between 15 and 25%, probably 25%?

2. freak78Well Known MemberMember

I do 50% weekly water changes now since I got my python hose. I will put a half a cap of prime in the tank as it's filling. The fish never leave the tank. As far as a routine, I always do 50% weekly.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  3. klogue2Valued MemberMember

Thanks for your answers! That sounds like a good plan :)

4. pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

as far as when using a hose, just dose the tank for the entire amount of the tank and youll be fine.

If I remember correctly you can dose up to 5x recommended dose safely.

5. klogue2Valued MemberMember

Thanks!

6. JRC3Well Known MemberMember

Just dose the tank for the total water volume. I did it that way for a few years. And I always just used plain old dechlorinator...No need for any of that Stress Coat type wast of money. Especially when doing large proper WCs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice