Water Changer Question.

MissNoodle

I use a store bought gravel vac and suction water out into a bucket, carry it to the washroom across the apartment and dump it out, refill a clean bucket with fresh water and carry it back to refill. It gets to be a PITA when your refill bucket is only 5 gallon lol.

I'm looking at investing in a hose that connects to the kitchen sink to refill my tanks.

Could I use a garden hose? Or is it best to fork out the $80 for the python system at the store?

Working full time midnights is rough as it is, without lugging buckets back and forth. Water changes end up taking hours.

EmmGood

I use a store bought gravel vac and suction water out into a bucket, carry it to the washroom across the apartment and dump it out, refill a clean bucket with fresh water and carry it back to refill. It gets to be a PITA when your refill bucket is only 5 gallon lol.

I'm looking at investing in a hose that connects to the kitchen sink to refill my tanks.

Could I use a garden hose? Or is it best to fork out the $80 for the python system at the store?

Working full time midnights is rough as it is, without lugging buckets back and forth. Water changes end up taking hours.

I used to do exactly what you do, using a 2 gallon foldable bucket. I then upgraded to a 5 gallon bucket. When I refill, I put a pump into my 5 gallon and run back and forth refilling it with my 2G bucket as it pumps water back into my tanks. (I have 36G, 30G, etc.). It'd be a marathon to keep up before the bucket was empty, haha.

I very, very recently caved and got a topfin hose system from petsmart. Connects to my kitchen sink, and sucks / refills from there. I have no idea how I've gone this long without it. For my smaller aquariums, I still use my two-bucket-and-pump-system, for anything over 20G its using a hose to the sink. I also work fulltime so that made me dread the process less. (And my carpets thank me for it).

AcuarioAmazonico

Difficult to get pythons where I am (apart from the real thing in the bush!) due to lack of leak free adaptors available for our tap types.

I was sick of carrying buckets - once away from tanks and then back to them.
I invest in two things. 1) a submersible pump with plastic tube that goes straight to the sink drain: 6 hour job now done in less than an hour. 2) cheap garden hose for less than $10 that connects to kitchen sink and now refilling takes 5 minutes.

only compromise I had to make was first putting prime into the aquarium and then topping up with straight tap water. I get the temperature right and it’s dead easy and to my own surprise never lost a fish.

oldsalt777

Hello Miss...

I have 10 large tanks and have used the five gallon "bucket" method of changing the tank water for many years. It's the best way I know to ensure I get the right amount of water treatment into the tank. This may not be important, but it is to me. I will use a piece of pliable garden hose to draw the water from the tank and I'll stack buckets on top of one another to refill the tank. The trick is to set up your tank as close to your sink as possible. There are inexpensive water pumps available if you wanted to go that route.

Old

MissNoodle

I used to do exactly what you do, using a 2 gallon foldable bucket. I then upgraded to a 5 gallon bucket. When I refill, I put a pump into my 5 gallon and run back and forth refilling it with my 2G bucket as it pumps water back into my tanks. (I have 36G, 30G, etc.). It'd be a marathon to keep up before the bucket was empty, haha.

I very, very recently caved and got a topfin hose system from petsmart. Connects to my kitchen sink, and sucks / refills from there. I have no idea how I've gone this long without it. For my smaller aquariums, I still use my two-bucket-and-pump-system, for anything over 20G its using a hose to the sink. I also work fulltime so that made me dread the process less. (And my carpets thank me for it).

I have 4 tanks (10g, 20g, 20g, 46g) so its a hassle). The 46g kills me changing out water with the buckets.

Difficult to get pythons where I am (apart from the real thing in the bush!) due to lack of leak free adaptors available for our tap types.

I was sick of carrying buckets - once away from tanks and then back to them.
I invest in two things. 1) a submersible pump with plastic tube that goes straight to the sink drain: 6 hour job now done in less than an hour. 2) cheap garden hose for less than $10 that connects to kitchen sink and now refilling takes 5 minutes.

only compromise I had to make was first putting prime into the aquarium and then topping up with straight tap water. I get the temperature right and it’s dead easy and to my own surprise never lost a fish.

Okay so I CAN use a garden hose?

Hello Miss...

I have 10 large tanks and have used the five gallon "bucket" method of changing the tank water for many years. It's the best way I know to ensure I get the right amount of water treatment into the tank. This may not be important, but it is to me. I will use a piece of pliable garden hose to draw the water from the tank and I'll stack buckets on top of one another to refill the tank. The trick is to set up your tank as close to your sink as possible. There are inexpensive water pumps available if you wanted to go that route.

Old
All my tanks are scattered in the apartment, and I got a 4year old. Its an ongoing obstacle course carrying buckets around kids toys. Ive about killed myself one too many times.

(I love how you reply to things, always so formal)

AcuarioAmazonico

Yeah for sure. You just need the right adapter to the tap.
If you’re in the states it will be so easy: your local hardware shop would stock tap/hose adapters.
My kitchen sink now has a plastic hose attachment at the end and I don’t care. May not be aesthetically pleasing but it’s functional and saves me HOURS.

Note: I’m typing this sitting on my “tank watching chair” as the pump empties my tank and am about 10 minutes away from attaching the hose to the sink

JettsPapa

I use a bucket for refilling also (2.5 gallon, because I'm not as young as I used to be), but I went to the hardware store and bought a 10ft long piece of the same tubing that came with my vacuum siphon, replaced the discharge hose with it, and stick it out the window. At least that way I'm only carrying buckets in one direction.

BevM

I also use the bucket system. I have two 5 gallon buckets which I fill and a pump to pump it into the aquarium. As they empty I refill til the water level reaches the top. For vacuuming, the aquarium is close to an outside door where it waters my hydrangea.

MissNoodle

Yeah for sure. You just need the right adapter to the tap.
If you’re in the states it will be so easy: your local hardware shop would stock tap/hose adapters.
My kitchen sink now has a plastic hose attachment at the end and I don’t care. May not be aesthetically pleasing but it’s functional and saves me HOURS.

Note: I’m typing this sitting on my “tank watching chair” as the pump empties my tank and am about 10 minutes away from attaching the hose to the sink

Ah good. I'm in canada but I live right across the street from a local hardware store.
I also use the bucket system. I have two 5 gallon buckets which I fill and a pump to pump it into the aquarium. As they empty I refill til the water level reaches the top. For vacuuming, the aquarium is close to an outside door where it waters my hydrangea.
Yeah I am doing the bucket changer method. Takes so long

I use a bucket for refilling also (2.5 gallon, because I'm not as young as I used to be), but I went to the hardware store and bought a 10ft long piece of the same tubing that came with my vacuum siphon, replaced the discharge hose with it, and stick it out the window. At least that way I'm only carrying buckets in one direction.

I could imagine... dumping it out my window. I'm on second floor of an apartment building with no front yard--just a sidewalk on a commercial street. Could you imagine someone walking by as I'm dumping water on their heads?

AcuarioAmazonico

I could imagine... dumping it out my window. I'm on second floor of an apartment building with no front yard--just a sidewalk on a commercial street. Could you imagine someone walking by as I'm dumping water on their heads?

that’s my problem. I love on the second floor or a converted warehouse in town. If I dumped out 200 gallon of water int the street I’d be getting a knock on the door from the boys in blue!

MissNoodle

that’s my problem. I love on the second floor or a converted warehouse in town. If I dumped out 200 gallon of water int the street I’d be getting a knock on the door from the boys in blue!
Shhh just tell them you are dumping last night's chamber pots!! Like in the old medieval days

LeahsTank

My new magic system... and I am sooooo freaking excited about this...

Water hose, shower diverted, hose adaptor, and another hose adapter...

These are not necessarily the exact pieces, but.., I start the siphon into a bucket, then stop with a ball valve. Then attach a hose adaptor and finish siphoning into the toilet. Then, I use an adaptor in conjunction with a diverter to fill the tank. Saves sooooo much time and effort!
IMG_5675.JPG
IMG_5676.JPG
IMG_5677.JPG

John58ford

ts an ongoing obstacle course carrying buckets around kids toys
I feel you 209% On this, I have an 8yo and 5yo. Between Legos and matchbox cars I feel sorry for my feet. Way worse than anything they've made me do at work in boots. Add in my senile dogs and it gets exciting. I still use buckets and service about 90 gallons of tanks total, but am also looking at python type systems. My neighbor uses a python just to refill about 200 gallons of tank service between 15 and 30%, she drains everything with buckets and marks them with dry erase to make sure she gets dosage right but the Python speeds up refills and cuts half the lifting. I will probably go that way sooner than later.

Joker77

I only did the initial fill of my tank and a single water change on my first 90G before I ditched the buckets. Didn't buy a dedicated water change system but it really couldn't get any more simple. 15$ pump off amazon with a nice length of hose to drain the tank quickly into the nearest drain. Also bought one of those adapters for the sink so I can thread a "garden" hose onto it to refill. No lifting required at all and no mess. I just dose with prime after I drain and before I refill. I don't really like the python venturI siphons, They make lots of noise and if the tap is higher than your tank you have to run the tap constantly wasting a ton of water and drain slower than the submersible pumps or even just a siphon.

MissNoodle

Updating....

Bought a 50 foot garden hose and tap adapter for under $25. Water changes will be so much easier now. All ill need to carry buckets for is to dump old water.

Rcslade124

You can find the python attachment minus the hose that way you drain water into the sink. It's pretty much the old waterbed sink adapter. I am ready to invest but worry about over filling tank running to turn off the sink.

yinoma2001

I consider hauling water in/out as part of my weekly workout. LOL.

Mike999

Joker77

I'm usually all thumbs with anything like this, but would the adapter you linked work with my kitchen faucet?
I unscrewed the aerator on my faucet. Please have a look below.

I guess I also need some tubing for that submersible pump, could you please link to what tubing I should get?
-----------------------------------------
Usual routine:
I live in an apartment, with 2 aquariums: 38 gallon / 10 gallon.
I use both a 2.5 gallon and 5 gallon pail - and I do find the the 5 gallon pail dang heavy so looking for alternatives.

38 gallon:
25% water changes = 2 x 5 gallon pail lugged to the bathroom toilet lol.
Adding back water = 4 x 2.5 gallon pail lugged back to aquarium.

10 gallon:
piece of cake, no worries.

Attachments

• IMG_20191216_213725.jpg
    IMG_20191216_213725.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 88

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Gameynerd23
Replies