Water Change

newby sam

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon tank with 5 platies and a pleco. Does changing the water once to two times a week hurt the fish?

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't change all of the water. Only 10% to 20% per change is needed. And no they will be ok with you doing the change.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
newby sam said:
I have a 10 gallon tank with 5 platies and a pleco. Does changing the water once to two times a week hurt the fish?
You'll want to change about 2.5 gallon once a week. Your pleco is going to get too big for that tank quickly.. once he's over 2". The Pleco puts out a lot of waste & will probably make it necessary to change the water 2-3 times a week instead of one. I'd recommend returning him for a ghost shrimp or 2.

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
newby sam said:
hi sam, u have a pleco. how big is it? plecos grow up to 18 inches and they grow fast, it will soon outgrow your 10 gallon tank, i think u should get rid of it.

newby sam

Reaction score
It is a small pleco, about 4 1/2 inches. It was 4 inches when I bought it about 5 weeks ago.

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
newby sam said:
It is a small pleco, about 4 1/2 inches. It was 4 inches when I bought it about 5 weeks ago.
i think it will reach 10 inch within 6 months.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
newby sam said:
You don't have to have a pleco in a tank, and the one you got is probably a common pleco. The members here are correct in that your pleco has already outgrown that tank. We only tell you this because your tank is probably overstocked already and giving you high readings. The only way to maintain a healthy tank with that pleco in that tank would probably be daily water changes. I think the 5 platies would about max out that tank, and my guess yours isn't even cycled. It would be hard to keep that tank balanced. I have a common pleco in my 100 gal. tank, and the poop that fish puts out requires weekly water changes for the tank. I also have 2 oscars in there with him, and they are big poopers too, but if I don't clean the tank that often, the nitrates skyrocket, and it's just plain gross to see all that poop on the bottom of the tank. My pleco came from WalMart probably about the size of yours or maybe a little smaller. He is now over a foot long. Plecos are not necessary in your tank. There are many smaller ones that don't get over 4 or 5 inches that would be much better for your 10 gallon. Go to www.planetcatfish.com and see if you can identify the type of pleco you have, and we will help you further.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom