Water Change?

BillynJennifer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Since my water parameters are working for the shrimp I've got, and my plants keep my Nitrate pretty low, could I get away with doing very few water changes? It always seems like I lose a shrimp after my water changes, so very infrequent water changes seems like a good idea.

TarielBlu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Depends on how big your tank is

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In terms of bioload, theoretically you wouldn't ever have to do a WC. However, WCs also replenish minerals and trace elements that your fish and plants use up so perhaps instead you could do smaller WCs instead of less frequent ones.

BillynJennifer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TarielBlu said:
Depends on how big your tank is
It's 10 gallons

fjh said:
In terms of bioload, theoretically you wouldn't ever have to do a WC. However, WCs also replenish minerals and trace elements that your fish and plants use up so perhaps instead you could do smaller WCs instead of less frequent ones.
I think that's going to be the plan.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In a 10 gallon tank 10% water change weekly is best that works out to 7 ltrs I'd not leave it go more than two weeks, there are always things breaking down slowly in your tank putting little amount of toxins in which are unseen and not traceable so doing much less water changes are building up big problems further down the line, then shrimp start dying your water perameters read good but you've induced a man made problem, plus trace elements of minerals are being used up by your plants which over time will slowly raise your GH so water changes are very important.as for looseing shrimp on water changes this will happen if the water being put in is put in to fast and more so if it's not up to tank temperature as this will cause moult issues

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom