Water change

sassymomma

Is prime good for water changes? I'm not sure if I have enough conditioner left to soften my tap water. Pay day is still a few days from now.

ashenwelt

Er... Seachem Prime is one of the best choices for water changes. I don't believe however that it will soften water... just kill chlorine and chlorromine and bind ammonia and nitrite.

sassymomma

Ah ok. I may have improperly questioned. I meant that I'm low on water conditioner...which is also for making tap water safe. I had a bottle of Top fin conditioner.

If prime is the best choice, I'll keep buying it. I'm thinking these little fish will be more sensitive than my comets were . they started in a pond, and were returned to it after they outgrew the tank

ashenwelt

Ah ok. I may have improperly questioned. I meant that I'm low on water conditioner...which is also for making tap water safe. I had a bottle of Top fin conditioner.

If prime is the best choice, I'll keep buying it. I'm thinking these little fish will be more sensitive than my comets were . they started in a pond, and were returned to it after they outgrew the tank
One thing about Prime that you should also consider is how massively concentrated it is. One capful treats 50 gallons... so very little goes a very long way.

It also can be quadrupled in an ammonia emergency which is good to have around any fish, but especially goldfish.

I have two comets myself.

sassymomma

Yes, I'm a little concerned about ammonia now, after finding out that my new pleco is too much fish for my tank. I kind of thought that I was going to be able to avoid overstocking issues after the comets went into the pond due to size... but I made a rookie mistake in buying the first algae eater I saw :/

ashenwelt

Yes, I'm a little concerned about ammonia now, after finding out that my new pleco is too much fish for my tank. I kind of thought that I was going to be able to avoid overstocking issues after the comets went into the pond due to size... but I made a rookie mistake in buying the first algae eater I saw :/
We all do it sooner or later. What type of pleco did you buy?

sassymomma

Common.....but I just got off the phone with my local fish store, and they said we can swap him for a bristlenose. They a fully grown female, so I don't have worry about growth

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom