Water Change

1. Matt Ireland Initiate Member

How do you do a water change? I own prime and two blackshirt tetras are in my tank. Please instruct me on how to to do a water change.

2. Aster Well Known Member Member

You just siphon out the water with a hose or tube. Vacuum the bottom to pick up debris. Then add new water with two drops of Prime per gallon.

3. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

You can do it a couple ways:

With a gravel vacuum:
    You can get these online or at any local fish store. I prefer the ones with the pump so you dont have to use your mouth or any technique to get it started.
    - use the gravel vacuum to pick up any waste on the substrate. If gravel you can put your siphon into it. If sand you swirl just above the sand to kick up the debris.
    - try to take out a minimum of 25% water. Try to aim for 40-50% ideally
    - dispose of water either in sink, by watering plants, or down toilet
    - start getting the water running in your sink and try to match the temp in the tank as close as possible
    - fill up a clean bucket (fish use only) with the water and add your dechlorinator like prime.
    - slowly pour water into tank
    - finished!

With a water changer:
    These are a life savor and I highly recommend one! Python water changer or aqueon water changer (mostly found online. I've seen the aqueon in petcos).
    - hook up water changer and set it to the remove position
    - start removing water from your tank. Also use this time to vacuum the substrate (like stated in gravel vacuum).
    - try to get 25% but aim for 40-50%
    - remove the siphon from tank
    - drain water from hose (not mandatory but helpful).
    - try to match ideal temperature of tank
    - go to tank and pour water conditioner directly into tank dose for the entire volume of the tank.
    - set water changer to pour and put siphon back into tank and try to aim it at the tank wall or low to the water line
    - let tank fill up
    - turn off the water changer, remove siphon and empty water from hose.
    -finished

4. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Matt...

Water changes are very simple with a tank this size and hardly any fish in it. Just use a small pitcher and take out enough water to fill a 5 gallon bucket. Have another bucket with new, treated tap water and pour the new water from the pitcher in one hand over a small plate in the other, so you don't disturb the bottom material.

Easy peazee.

Old

5. TigerStar Initiate Member

When you fill your tank back up with water, be EXTRA sure that water's the same temperature as the water in your tank. Otherwise, you risk shocking your fish.

You should change your water once a week, and stick to it. If you neglect the water changes, your water quality will get poor, and your fish may get sick.

6. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

You CAN do that but you need to do gravel vacuums to collect waste on the bottom.

7. Matt Ireland Initiate Member

How do I make the water 78 degrees Fahrenheit ?

8. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I use a meat thermometer to temperate my water from facet. I fill up my bucket and have to make several trips. The python would be a life saver but for now i just fill 1 bucket at a time. I dump the new water in a large storage container, then i add my conditioner and bacteria along with ammolock and ferts for my plants. Then i stir it up and add it to the tank 1 bucket at a time.