Water change

Discussion in 'Water Changes' started by reds, Jul 13, 2015.

1. r

reds Valued Member Member

I'm wondering if I should be taking my fake plants and caves out of the aquarium and rinsing the food and waste off when I do my weekly water change? Or will doing this mess up the water parameters?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

It might cause a little bb loss though it shouldn't be huge. I don't wash any of my decor personally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,

Remember that the beneficial bacteria needed to sustain the cycle is attached to all surface areas of the aquarium with the highest concentrations of it being in your filter.

You do not want to over clean and remove this beneficial bacteria. Maybe select a couple of ornaments and clean them and then get the rest at the next water change.

I do not have any algae issues so I do not clean my ornaments either. Too, a little algae adds to the more natural look of the aquarium and can be beneficial to some fish and critters. Algae is a good sign that there is oxygen in the water.

Chances are when you move the ornaments, any detritus on them is going to end up back in the aquarium and it will filter out.

Ken

4. OP
    OP
    r

reds Valued Member Member

OK thanks. I have just a little algae, my clown pleco takes good care of the sides of the tank. So it's OK if there's left over food and waste on the plants?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

I don't take out my ornaments, either. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice