Water change

1. A

Alex126 Valued Member Member

Hello all. I have been keeping fish for around a year now. I have a slightly planted tank with gravel. I do water changes every 2 weeks. And use my gravel vac. To clean up the poop. Some times there's not a lot of poop do I have to use the gravel vac or can I just Change water? I was thinking why Change water with water. Thanks!

2. I love my puffer

I love my puffer Valued Member Member

I'd do a good gravel vac and 25 water change once a week to keep your fish happy!

3. OP
    OP
    A

Ok great thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Do you know a good way to do a good gravel cleaning without moving all the plants around because I find this annoying! Hahah maybe it's just something you have to live through?

4. I love my puffer

You really just need to vac the main areas where they mostly swim and you can do the whole tank Mabey once every 2-3 weeks:)

5. OP
    OP
    A

Alright thanks for the help

6. I love my puffer

Anytime :)

7. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

The purpose of a water change is to keep your nitrate levels under 20ppm.Nitrates are the end result of the nitrogen cycle (ammonia->nitrite->nitrates). Since the fish produce a constant stream of ammonia, you end up with a constant stream of nitrates. The only way to remove those nitrates is thru partial water changes.

8. I love my puffer

Yep.