Water change

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Alex126, Aug 7, 2014.

1. A

Alex126 Valued Member Member

Hello all. I have been keeping fish for around a year now. I have a slightly planted tank with gravel. I do water changes every 2 weeks. And use my gravel vac. To clean up the poop. Some times there's not a lot of poop do I have to use the gravel vac or can I just Change water? I was thinking why Change water with water. Thanks!

2. I love my puffer

I love my puffer Valued Member Member

I'd do a good gravel vac and 25 water change once a week to keep your fish happy!

3. OP
    OP
    A

Ok great thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Do you know a good way to do a good gravel cleaning without moving all the plants around because I find this annoying! Hahah maybe it's just something you have to live through?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  4. I love my puffer

You really just need to vac the main areas where they mostly swim and you can do the whole tank Mabey once every 2-3 weeks:)

5. OP
    OP
    A

Alright thanks for the help

6. I love my puffer

Anytime :)

7. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

The purpose of a water change is to keep your nitrate levels under 20ppm.Nitrates are the end result of the nitrogen cycle (ammonia->nitrite->nitrates). Since the fish produce a constant stream of ammonia, you end up with a constant stream of nitrates. The only way to remove those nitrates is thru partial water changes.

8. I love my puffer

Yep.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice