Water Change While Cycling

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by ColinGreen1985, Apr 18, 2017.

1. C

ColinGreen1985 New Member Member

Should i do a water change 10 days into cycling. One person told me "no" just top up the tank every week or so , then do a very small water change after about a month.

Another person just told me Yes keep up with water changes during cycling .

If i am supposed to do a water change, how often and how much water should i change (25%, 50% etc.) Or should i wait a bit and just top up the tank?

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Can you give us some more info? Tank size? Is this a fish-in or fishless cycle? What are the current water parameters and are you using a bacteria supplement?

3. m

michaelmcg New Member Member

I didn't change the water with my recent cycling but I didn't have fish in there. I just put a little bit of the bacteria additive in every day for around a week then my local store said I was good to go.

4. OP
    OP
    C

I have a 20 gallon tank with 3 tiger barbs (for now)
    I have been cycling the tank for 11 days (with the fish in the tank)
    Just did a 50% water change yesterday and added water conditioner.(topfin)
    Tonight i'll add "Nutrafin Cycle"

5. el337

What are the current water parameters?

6. OP
    OP
    C

I don't know the current water parameters yet. I don't have a testing kit at the moment. Allot of people on here seem to be saying to buy the API freshwater master test kit, so ill look around for one of those.

7. el337

Yes, that would be important to have to monitor your levels and know when your tank is cycled. In the meantime, you could take a water sample to your LFS for free testing. Make sure to get the pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice