Water Change W/ Nerite Snails

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MusicGail, Apr 8, 2017.

1. MusicGail

MusicGail Valued Member Member

Hello! I recently got 3 black racer nerite snails to put in my 3.5 tank to help with a brown algae problem. For some reason they like staying on the glass and hardly ever move off of it. I need to do a water change and they are literally at the very top of the tank. Is it alright for me to move them? Or is there another way to move them that wouldn't require me unsticking them from the glass? Maybe put some cucumber in to invite them to the bottom? One is also on my heater [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

Do your water change as normal they will be ok.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can do a water change normally :) They'll be exposed to air for a bit, but they'll move back down (or stay where they are - you'll be replacing the water you remove shortly, and it may not be enough time for them to move down). They'll be fine!

You can also pick them up and move them if you really wanted to.

4. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't worry. They shouldn't have an issue if when you pull water out they are temporarily in air. They do breath air. So I would just do the water change and be careful of knocking into them.

5. OP
    OP
    MusicGail

Oh! I didn't know they breathed air! good to know. Thanks for the advice all

6. ChapouJunior

ChapouJunior Valued Member Member

Yeah I have 8 nerite snails in my 20g and some are at the top when I change te water, If I know I'm going to do some other stuff a short time before replacing the water, I'll push them gently towards the water, even if it's not necessary. And for the veggies, you should definitely put a piece of zucchini (or other veggies) at the bottom, zucchini has the best amount of calcium for their shells and they love it. I always put one in my tank with skewers to weigh it down.

7. OP
    OP
    MusicGail

Sounds great! Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice