Water change suggestions?

MyFishAddiction

So, I was doing a water change last week, and to fill the tank back up, I slowly poured a bucket of water in the tank. I thought it stressed out the fish a bit, so I devised a plan:
I would get a chair from the kitchen, and a barstool for the counter, bring them to the fish room, put the barstool on the chair and siphon the water from the bucket, into the tank. Foolproof, right?
Yeah, no.
The chair/barstool wasn't high enough, so I had to put the bucket on my head and had my sister do the siphoning. This is obviously not a long term soultion, so, how do you guys put water into the tank after a water change?

StarGirl

I just pour the water in. Some of my fish swim in the current while I am pouring it in.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

I pour it in with a bucket. The fish will be fine.

Alternatively, you can get a smaller container (like a pitcher or measuring cup) and scoop water out of the bucket with that.

Upvote 0

Leeman75

In most of my tanks, I just pour it in with a bucket...though I transfer the water from 5 gallon buckets into 2.5 gallon buckets for ease of lifting.

In my 20 gallon hex tank, I have a pretty time-consuming process of emptying the water one large cup at a time. It takes too long with a siphon, so I just do it that way. I put the water back in the same way because if I don't, the tallness of the tank acts like a water tunnel straight to the plants and I'm worried about disturbing and uprooting them despite the fact that they've been in the tank for about 9 months. I have problems.

In my shrimp tank, I use a siphon from a bucket placed on a shelf next to the tank. I want to put that water in slowly.

Upvote 0

LowConductivity

Faucet to filter, filter to hose, hose to tank

Upvote 0

GlennO

Depends on the size of the tank and how much water is being changed. Generally for tanks 40 gal or larger I use a hose connected to a tap. For smaller tanks I use a bucket. For very small tanks less than 10 gal I sometimes dip a water bottle into the bucket.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

You can pour the water in if the parameters are all closely matched (including temperature), otherwise what I do is use an airline tubing attached to a pump and slowly pump the water back in

Upvote 0

Brad Pervell

So, I was doing a water change last week, and to fill the tank back up, I slowly poured a bucket of water in the tank. I thought it stressed out the fish a bit, so I devised a plan:
I would get a chair from the kitchen, and a barstool for the counter, bring them to the fish room, put the barstool on the chair and siphon the water from the bucket, into the tank. Foolproof, right?
Yeah, no.
The chair/barstool wasn't high enough, so I had to put the bucket on my head and had my sister do the siphoning. This is obviously not a long term soultion, so, how do you guys put water into the tank after a water change?
I use a plastic pasta strainer and pour the water into that

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ForceTen
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views