Water Change Schedule Help

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Koibe, Nov 10, 2018.

1. K

Koibe New Member Member

Hello,

I currently have a baby fancy goldfish in my 7-gallon aquarium (I know, not an ideal environment but he was given to me as a "surprise" and this was my only tank).

The tank is fully cycled, but I just want to know what my water change schedule would be? This is not a suitable tank for this fish, so I was thinking maybe 50% every week.

Also, how long can I keep my goldfish in this tank? I am planning to get a 20 gallon in about 2-3 months.

2. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

I would do 50% every other day. I would keep it in the tank as little as possible, if possible less then 2-3 months as it will get cramped very quickly but if there's no other option, keep up on the water changes and it should be OK until then. I would go ahead and get a 29 or a 40 breeder. It'll only be a few $ more for a bigger filter, and yoou'lll be able to keep your goldfish a lot easier, and not have ot upgrade again.

3. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Agree I do 50% weekly on me lightly stocked tanks. An over stocked tank need more then weekly water changes.

4. rainbowsprinkles

rainbowsprinkles Well Known Member Member

I know they are expensive but a water parameter test kit is your best way to know how often and much to change your water. Especially with goldfish in a smaller tank.

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I clean my tanks weekly, usually on different days of the week, but it depends.

6. Dave125g

I like to split it up across a few days also. Otherwise I feel like I'm rushing through all my tanks.

7. Carbeo

Carbeo Well Known Member Member

Not to say let's purposefully stunt a fish, but I would suggest feeding very conservatively to keep the water quality higher so it can survive til the 20 is here. Certainly not power feed as if you are preparing for a show.

8. Luvlyrita

Luvlyrita New Member Member

If you are diligently changing the water and can keep it in the proper perimeters, it should be fine for a while, I’d say check for signs of stress like torn fins or listlessness which are signs of the tank being too small. We won some at a county fair and 2/3 survived ( one only lived like 2 weeks) in a 10 gallon for about a year before we moved them into a 30 gallon. They got so big we had to give them to my neighbor who had a heated koi pond when we moved ( like 5 years later).

9. Dave125g

Commons are usually what's given at a fair. A 30 gallon is plenty big enough for 2 fancy goldies. You sure you has fancy goldfish?

10. OP
    OP
    K

Koibe New Member Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll be sure to change the water every other day, if not every three days.

I'll try to get the bigger tank this month (my mom got the fish for me because it's a tiny baby and she thinks it's going to stay that size)

Wow! If you had your commons for 5 years in a 10 gallon, I'm sure I can keep my baby fancy in a 7-gallon for a month or so if I change the water a lot. What was your water change schedule like?

Unfortunately my LFS only sells 10-20 gallon tanks (I live in Singapore). I'm going to try to buy a used tank online, they're cheaper there I think.

I do have a test kit (that's how I cycled my tank), but I'm worried on when I'm supposed to use it. Should I check the water parameters daily? Every water change? If so, I'm need to buy another one :p

11. rainbowsprinkles

rainbowsprinkles Well Known Member Member

Since you are already cycled, I would test frequently at first until you know how quickly the nitrates go up..And try to keep the nitrates below 40 with water changes. Once it is predictable and your nitrates are pretty stable you can do once a week tests or less.

12. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

If you have outdoor space, you could set up a pond. Really dont have to worry about the size - and trying to find a large enough tank - and since singapore is warm all year round, no need to worry about it getting cold (not that it would anyway...)

13. Luvlyrita

Luvlyrita New Member Member

They looked like comets to me.

14. Dave125g

Commons and comets both get huge. Fancy goldies don't

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice