Water change schedule

1. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

I was wondering what others do as their water change schedules. With busy lives, whether it be work or school, we all have other stuff going on.
    I myself currently have 4 tanks:
    55g community that started it all
    10g betta tank
    35g community tank
    And the newest 5g rescued betta tank

In the very near future I will be obtaining a (believed to be) 30g so I can fix some of my stocking issues that were brought along with my gifted 35g.

With Saturdays being my only true free day, I tend to do all of my water changes on this day. And though sometimes it can be quite over whelming (cant wait to get a python!!) I wonder if the extra 30g will make it that much more overwhelming.

So that brings me here :)
    How many tanks do you have and what are your schedules like??

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I do 50% on my tanks every weekend unless I'm away or have visitors, then I try to do them in the week nights

3. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

How many tanks do you have Coradee ?

4. Cef Member Member

I have a 40g, 15g (soon to be upgraded to 30g), 2 5gallon. Pwc are done every sunday (same day as fast day for fish). As I don't have access to buy the python water changer I stick to filling up a drum for water changes. Good thing they are all located on the ground floor.

5. Bellatrix Member Member

I don't mean to be rude or anything but if you don't have the time, why have so many?

You could do one on each day of the week so it's not a huge job on a Sunday.

6. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

When did I say I didnt have the time? I make the time.
    I simply asked what other peoples wc schedule looked like.

7. Bellatrix Member Member

I wasn't being rude, love. I was merely asking why you have so many tanks when you're clearly finding it overwhelming plus you're getting another?

And I gave you a method of doing one tank a day instead of all in one day. I think that will be a lot less overwhelming but that's just what I think.

8. andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

Bellatrix I think its called Multiple Tank Syndrome and its a serious thing. Once it starts, ain't no way of going back!

9. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

I have a 2.5 gallon betta tank
    a 10 gallon qt tank
    a 10 gallon betta tank
    a 36 gallon community tank.

The smaller tanks don't take me long to do a water change on, 15 to 30 minutes depending on how large of a water change and how many interruptions I get. I'd recommend doing those on weeknights and do the big tanks on weekends. The big tank can take me an hour due to interruptions and it needs more cleanup since its planted and getting algae on the glass.

10. Bellatrix Member Member

I won't be getting it that's for sure! :;laughing

11. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

A python will make water changes a breeze :) Just be careful, how efficient water changes will become may motivate you to add more tanks. Also, yull need to find a way to decontaminate the python end that goes into your tanks as you move from tank to tank so not to spread disease. One can never be too cautious, best of luck.

12. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

This statement is SOOOOOOO true!!! LOL I went from 4 tanks to 14 tanks after getting my python!!

13. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

14! Oh dear. I'm not even 3 months into fishkeeping and up to 4 tanks and 3 empty tanks. Wheres the MTS Anon meeting?

14. andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

OH MY GOD 14?! Gotta say I'm a little jealous lol, its funny I always just ask myself where people have space in their houses to have all these huge tanks! I have one 10G and I feel like its literally in the way, but I love it so I don't care lol. At the same time, I guess my little college apartment doesn't compare to the nice houses some people must own lol :;scuba

15. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I didn't say they were all huge :)

I actually have a very small two bedroom apartment (technically condo, I own it). In my living room I have a TV with a 55 gallon on each side of it. The only other thing that fits in that room is my couch and coffee table.

My two 29s are in the dining room. (Luckily I don't entertain much) I am still able to fit a small table in there :)

I have a 46 gallon and two 20 gallons and two 10 gallons (stacked on top of each other) squeezed into my room. Then my daughter has a 20 gallon and a 15 gallon in her room. The other 3 are 5 gallons and under.

Put it this way......my house is so small, that I am able to reach every single one of my tanks from the kitchen sink using a python with a 35 foot hose. (I have the 25 foot one with a 10foot extension) My kitchen sink is right in the middle of the apartment. So it can get into my room, my daughter's room, the living room and the dining room. lol

It is a bit overwhelming....that's for sure.

16. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Youre setup sounds like a dreamy water wonderland :)
    The sound of having a 55g on both sides of a tv for some reason made me extremely happy lol!

17. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

It's my own little slice of heaven! [​IMG]

18. andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

lol, super convenient for water change day! :anim_40:

I had never thought about stacking tanks like that on top of each other, I'm assuming they must have some special stands for that!

19. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

This..

20. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Wow guys..
    There is clearly space between the tv and tanks. Not to mention the tv is on an entertainment center, and the tanks are on their own stands.
    You can see the entertainment center walls block the light from the tanks and the distance (and being on separate structures) prevents vibrations.

Its an awesome setup. Beautiful too!
    Please dont derail the topic of my thread