Water Change Schedule Recommendations

louiec4413

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI I have a 55 gallon tank with 3 parrot and 5 mbu na cichlids. I have a sun sun 304 b canister filter and an internal filter jp 044f. was wondering how much water I should change out every week ?

Discusluv

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have an API master test kit?
I would do as many and as large water changes as needed to keep your nitrates under 20ppm.
This frequency and volume differs between tanks because of variables of bio-load. There is no one size fits all.
Nitrates, kept under 20 ppm, will contribute to a healthier environment for fish and a stronger immunity against disease.

oldsalt777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
louiec4413 said:
HI I have a 55 gallon tank with 3 parrot and 5 mbu na cichlids. I have a sun sun 304 b canister filter and an internal filter jp 044f. was wondering how much water I should change out every week ?
Hello lou...

If you're careful how much you feed your fish and remove and replace half the tank water weekly, you should be fine. It takes several days for toxins from fish and plant waste to dissolve and build up to the point your fish are at risk. By removing half the water every week, you remove the toxins before they dissolve in the water. So, your fish always have safe water conditions.

Old

OP
louiec4413

louiec4413

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do feed them moderately, I don't have a master test kit but I have strips. Yeah I've only been doing 5 gallon water changes every few days. Are you saying 25 gallons of changing the water is better ?

oldsalt777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
louiec4413 said:
I do feed them moderately, I don't have a master test kit but I have strips. Yeah I've only been doing 5 gallon water changes every few days. Are you saying 25 gallons of changing the water is better ?
lou...

I have several 55 gallon tanks and can tell you that the more water you change and the more often you do, the healthier the fish. The fish are swimming in the same water they do all their "business" in and traces of nitrogen from dissolved fish waste can be very toxic. If you're getting out the gear to change the water, then take a few more minutes and change out most of it. Your fish will have a better quality of life.

Old

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oldsalt777 said:
lou...

I have several 55 gallon tanks and can tell you that the more water you change and the more often you do, the healthier the fish. The fish are swimming in the same water they do all their "business" in and traces of nitrogen from dissolved fish waste can be very toxic. If you're getting out the gear to change the water, then take a few more minutes and change out most of it. Your fish will have a better quality of life.

Old
Agree 100%

OP
louiec4413

louiec4413

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the advice I'll definitely change half of it a week now

New Threads