Water Change Schedule Question

Allegra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,

My 25 L and 130 L tanks are holding such stable parameters that last week on Saturday when I was going to do a water change, I didn't. The 25 L is at 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and no longer even has Nitrates, the plants are using it all, so i did a gravel vac and topped it off for evaporation. The 130 L was the same, but does sit at 5 Nitrate as it has less plants for the volume. But I still just did gravel vac and topped it off. Im doing a water change tomorrow at 14 days. the water is clear, fish healthy and parameters still the same today, no change. Would there be any other reason i am overlooking to do it weekly regardless of parameters?

Heron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are trace elements/ minerals your fish require in the water which your fish and plants need. These are replenished with water changes. Changing less water means these will be less. In not saying it will be a problem for you, it depends on your water supply quality and your tanks requirements. If you reduce water changes keep an eye on your fish and if there are problems return to weekly changes. I have never had problems with too many water changes but I have had problems with too few.

Dunk2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My 25 L and 130 L tanks are holding such stable parameters that last week on Saturday when I was going to do a water change, I didn't. The 25 L is at 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and no longer even has Nitrates, the plants are using it all, so i did a gravel vac and topped it off for evaporation. The 130 L was the same, but does sit at 5 Nitrate as it has less plants for the volume. But I still just did gravel vac and topped it off. Im doing a water change tomorrow at 14 days. the water is clear, fish healthy and parameters still the same today, no change. Would there be any other reason i am overlooking to do it weekly regardless of parameters?
How many and what type of fish are in your tanks?

Allegra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How many and what type of fish are in your tanks?
I have a betta in the 25 L and 2 baby goldfish in the 130 L. They are still very small and I feed light. They are getting a big upgrade in tank size once they grow.
There are trace elements/ minerals your fish require in the water which your fish and plants need. These are replenished with water changes. Changing less water means these will be less. In not saying it will be a problem for you, it depends on your water supply quality and your tanks requirements. If you reduce water changes keep an eye on your fish and if there are problems return to weekly changes. I have never had problems with too many water changes but I have had problems with too few.
Good to know thanks, I shall stick to my 20 percent weekly then.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my humble opinion fresh clean water is the very best way to prevent so many of the problems we see here on a daily basis.

My smaller tanks (10 and under) get close to a 75% water change each week. The 55 not quite as much. I do try to change out at least 50% of it each week though. If I ever advance past using buckets I will do even bigger water changes on it.

Vibs

Reaction score
In my humble opinion fresh clean water is the very best way to prevent so many of the problems we see here on a daily basis.

My smaller tanks (10 and under) get close to a 75% water change each week. The 55 not quite as much. I do try to change out at least 50% of it each week though. If I ever advance past using buckets I will do even bigger water changes on it.
It's easy.. I've stopped using buckets a couple of months back and I'm changing 80% of the water in my tanks everyday. 100 gTank 1 day 1.. 56g tank 2 day 2.. 100g tank 3 day 3.. repeat.. I learnt the bucket less siphoning technique from YouTube..

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Everything in my house gets changed at least once a week. I try to get the 5 gal tanks 2-3 times a week if i have the time, but minimum once a week. The do well with that. Keeps away the finrot and other things, especially poo build-up and uneaten food(though my bettas are pigs, so that food build-up is rare).

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do water changes on Sunday mornings and Thursday mornings on all three aquariums - 2 x 20g long & 1 x 15g tall. Generally tween 25% and 35% per aquarium. I only use bottled water since the tap water is horrible and I will not subject my fish to water that I refuse to drink.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom