Water change question

Lady Indiana

I did a 1/3 water change in my 55gal freshwater. About 30min later I noticed ALL my fish were clearly stressed in one corner gasping for breath. I checked the parameters 3x and everything was perfect. I googled and it appears that the water I added was oxygen depleted. I have a bubble bar so I quickly added an extra hose with a bubble stone. Within 20min everyone relaxed and within 45min most were acting normally.

I’ve had tanks for over 25yrs and I’ve NEVER seen this b4. And I’ve even done 1/2 change many times throughout the years. I live just outside of Dallas in Irving (former home of the Dallas Cowboys & Byron Nelson).

Is it a seasonal thing, or does anyone have any insight to the cause of our normally excellent tap water being oxygen depleted? What can I do in the future to insure it doesn’t happen again?

Tia!!

Betta'sAnonymous

I have read/seen videos about this. It involves the dechlorination process when you put in the water conditioner. It eats up some of the oxygen in the water. You should be fine in the future if you leave in the bubble bar.

JPH1970

I'd like to know the oxygen level of my tank. I know there's test kits out there but how accurate are they?

I have two airstones and when they come in, I'm installing two bubble wands to help with oxygen levels.

mattgirl

JPH1970 said:
I'd like to know the oxygen level of my tank. I know there's test kits out there but how accurate are they?

I have two airstones and when they come in, I'm installing two bubble wands to help with oxygen levels.
I have to be perfectly honest. I can't imagine it being lack of oxygen. For a while it was being said water conditioners, specifically Prime depletes oxygen. To disprove this one of our long time members tested it out. Even when he got up to adding really high amounts of it there was no depletion of oxygen. Fortunately he has/had the equipment to run the tests for all of us.

Your little guys may have just gotten overly stressed during the water change for some reason. I have to think that is more likely than lack of oxygen. As long as your filter is running and breaking the surface of the water there should be plenty of oxygen in your tank.

JettsPapa

I don't suppose you forgot your water conditioner?

JPH1970

JettsPapa said:
I don't suppose you forgot your water conditioner?
Me? No

And if mine are stressed because I did one water change, they won't last long

pagoda

The best method to increase oxygenation is to ensure that the surface of the water is being aggitated at all times. Bubblers do add oxygen but nowhere near as much as an aggitated surface.

If, for example, you have a spray bar on your filter, turn the holes on it slightly upwards so that the flow breaks the surface a little bit....the Danio's will go absolutely nuts cos they love that sort of flow...but it will increase overall oxygenation better than bubblers. If your filter is directional make it sit on the same level as the surface or 50/50 over and above waterline so that air can get into the flow and aggitate the water. If you have a waterfall type filter, put the outflow above the waterline.

Just try to avoid flat water...aggitate it...your filter outflow is your best friend for aggitating the waterline

Betta'sAnonymous

mattgirl said:
I have to be perfectly honest. I can't imagine it being lack of oxygen. For a while it was being said water conditioners, specifically Prime depletes oxygen. To disprove this one of our long time members tested it out. Even when he got up to adding really high amounts of it there was no depletion of oxygen. Fortunately he has/had the equipment to run the tests for all of us.

Your little guys may have just gotten overly stressed during the water change for some reason. I have to think that is more likely than lack of oxygen. As long as your filter is running and breaking the surface of the water there should be plenty of oxygen in your tank.
The way i undertand it is the amount of chlorine/chloramine would affect the process more than the amount of conditioner. Which could make sense of this being a one-off thing, especially if the municipality had to add extra chlorine/chloramine to the water supply for a temporary basis for some reason.

I could be way off base though. Wouldn't be a first, and sure won't be the last time!

JPH1970

pagoda said:
The best method to increase oxygenation is to ensure that the surface of the water is being aggitated at all times. Bubblers do add oxygen but nowhere near as much as an aggitated surface.

If, for example, you have a spray bar on your filter, turn the holes on it slightly upwards so that the flow breaks the surface a little bit....the Danio's will go absolutely nuts cos they love that sort of flow...but it will increase overall oxygenation better than bubblers. If your filter is directional make it sit on the same level as the surface or 50/50 over and above waterline so that air can get into the flow and aggitate the water. If you have a waterfall type filter, put the outflow above the waterline.

Just try to avoid flat water...aggitate it...your filter outflow is your best friend for aggitating the waterline
I get that danios go nuts over water flow but mine are just sitting there at the top

Top Bottom