Water Change Question

Discussion in 'Water Changes' started by mistycheri, Apr 1, 2006.

1. mistycheriValued MemberMember

What is the best way to condition the water when you do water changes? Do you add the conditioner to the new water before putting it into the tank, or do you add the new water to the tank, then put in the conditioner? When I say "conditioner" I mean the Tetra AquaSafe to remove the chlorine.
    I have been using a 55 liter container that I fill with tap water, then add the conditioner to it and use that water when I do water changes. But I wanted to know which way was best.

Thanks

2. vin

vinWell Known MemberMember

Condition your water before adding to tank.

3. Isabella

IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Wouldn't any fish be hurt if one added untreated tap water containing chlorine (and possibly chloramine and other toxic substances) to a tank directly from tap? Just think about it - pouring chlorinated water into a tank FIRST before dechlorinating it, could be fatal. Fish "breathe" in water and whatever the substances are present in the water, they very quickly find their way into the fish's body. Chlorine would get into the fish's body right away if you added untreated tap water to your tank. And that could have serious consequences. What use is adding a dechlorinator to a chlorinated water that's already inside a fish's body? So of course, and by all means, add the dechlorinator to tap water before adding that water to your tank.

4. OP
    OP
    m

mistycheriValued MemberMember

Ok, Thanks for you time.   :)

5. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

The safest way in your position would be to add the dechlor first into the bucket and then add the water. That way you know everything is mixed up good. I use a python in all my tanks, and I add the dechlor into the stream of water going back into the tank. It's possible that my fish could get hurt this way, but I have never lost a fish doing it this way. Like Isaballa said, if you add the dechlor after adding the water into your tank, you do run the risk of hurting your fish, and possibly killing off your good bacteria exposed to the chlorine or chloramines before the dechlor is added.

6. NeenNew MemberMember

I always add the water conditioner to the water before adding to my tank. I don't let the water sit because it will not be the same temperature when I add to the tank. Do those conditioners remove the chlorine & chloramine right away? Gina

7. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

They are supposed to instantly remove or neuatralize the chlorine and some also deal with the chloramine. You have to read carefully what your dechlor does.

8. Isabella

IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

I use AquaPlus dechlorinator, and it does remove chlorine, chloramine, and some heavy metals from the water right away. If it didn't remove all these substances right away, my fish would be long dead. I am raising tiny angelfish (and any baby fish are very sensitive to toxic chemicals in water) with daily water changes - the water is used right after dechlorinating. They seem well and happy. So, it has to be working.

9. OP
    OP
    m

mistycheriValued MemberMember

I read the label on my bottle of Aqua Safe, and it removes the chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals, so I should be good to go. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice