water change ph confusion

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by wayne834, Dec 12, 2012.

1. w

wayne834 Valued Member Member

I`ve been growing my aquariums plants b4 adding fish,during this time ph has been 7.4-7.6

Yesterday I did a 75% w/change and re-tested out of curiosity ph after the change registered 6.4 on my api master kit test, today its back to 7.6.... I`ve never seen the ph below 7.4 ever.... i just tested my tap water and its 7.6?

the pipes r cold,its been -5 overnight could extreme cold water be responsible until the heater got it up to temperature?

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I am not aware of extreme cold changing ph. However, if your tank is cycling, the ph can go all over the place.

3. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Temperature won't cause a change in the pH. Perhaps it was an error in testing? If you keep testing frequently and don't see any further fluctuation, I would guess it was just a fluke.

4. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Also, pH out of the tap is not the true pH of the water. It will settle out to what it should be in about a day.

5. OP
    OP
    w

wayne834 Valued Member Member

yh, hopefully:) Thought I`d seen a miracle moment! 6.4 nah I prefer 7.4.

6. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Agree with the above, and I'll also ask, did you test at the same time of the day? The pH of water will change throughout the photo period.

Also, given the extreme weather in the UK at the moment, would the water company have added anything to stop it freezing in the pipes? [long shot, but worth asking]

7. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry but I have to giggle at -5C being considered extreme weather ;D

8. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

It's extreme to me! I'm enjoying 35C (95F) at the moment :D :p

9. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Aeration increases pH. Tap water can also have substantial levels of co2 in it, which lowers pH. So straight from tap can be much different than water that has had time to reach equilibrium.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice