Water change percentage on 15 gallon?

Nourhanateout22

Hi! I recently (4 days) ago transfered my betta along with various plants from a 5 gallon to 15 gallon. Randall is due for a water change.
I know this topic is debatable and would like to hear opinions from more experienced fish owners.
How much do you guys take out of your 15 gallon?

When I had Randall in 5 gallon I would change 50% x1 or x2/week. Now that I have my 15 gallon I'm not sure if I should keep it at 50% or 15-20%/ a week as some of you have said in past. I don't want to take out too much and shock my fish. Randall has been in his new tank for 4 days.

Sidenote, I transfered old filter and filter sponges from 5 gallon to 15 gallon. 15 gallon is stable. Look how happy Randall is lol

Attachments

• 20210620_210152.jpg
    20210620_210152.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210623_212102_292.jpg
    IMG_20210623_212102_292.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210407_155834.jpg
    20210407_155834.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 12

Fishstery

Hi! I recently (4 days) ago transfered my betta along with various plants from a 5 gallon to 15 gallon. Randall is due for a water change. I know this topic is debatable and would like to hear opinions from more experienced fish owners. How much do you guys take out of your 15 gallon? When I had Randall in 5 gallon I would change 50% x1 or x2/week. Now that I have my 15 gallon I'm not sure if I should keep it at 50% or 15-20%/ a week as some of you have said in past. I don't want to take out too much and shock my fish. Randall has been in his new tank for 4 days. Sidenote, I transfered old filter and filter sponges from 5 gallon to 15 gallon. 15 gallon is stable. Look how happy Randall is lol
That's nice that you gave your betta a super upgrade :) personally I aim for 30-50% weekly on anything under 20 gal depending on how many fish are in there. I usually go off of how stocked the tank is. On my 29 gal I do 25% weekly but it is also understocked. If you are planning to just keep Randall in there by himself, you can simply do 5 gallons weekly. With bettas I always remove their thermometer and use it to temp match new WC water just because they can be very sensitive health wise. If you were planning on adding tankmates (adding to the bioload) I would then move to 50% weekly which would still only be about 7 gallons.

Upvote 0

Nourhanateout22

That's nice that you gave your betta a super upgrade :) personally I aim for 30-50% weekly on anything under 20 gal depending on how many fish are in there. I usually go off of how stocked the tank is. On my 29 gal I do 25% weekly but it is also understocked. If you are planning to just keep Randall in there by himself, you can simply do 5 gallons weekly. With bettas I always remove their thermometer and use it to temp match new WC water just because they can be very sensitive health wise. If you were planning on adding tankmates (adding to the bioload) I would then move to 50% weekly which would still only be about 7 gallons.
Thank you! Yes it will just be Randall. I wanted to add tank mates but I didn't want them to live in constant fear of Randalls terror lol. I got shrimp once and he started chasing them. He wouldn't bite but lunged at them. I also use my digital thermometer and take it to my sink to make sure water temp matches my tank temp

Upvote 0

mattgirl

50% weekly may not be needed if Randall has this tank to himself. Changing out that much shouldn't shock him though. As long as you are using the same water the parameters in the tank are not going to change. The nitrates will be lower in the fresh water but with just one fish in a 15 gallon tank the nitrates aren't going to be very high anyway.

The only time fish are shocked with water changes is if water changes have not been done on a regular basis and then you change out most of the water. In a case like that the parameters of the tank water and tap water are very difference. It is that difference than shocks and sometimes kills fish.

Upvote 0

Nourhanateout22

50% weekly may not be needed if Randall has this tank to himself. Changing out that much shouldn't shock him though. As long as you are using the same water the parameters in the tank are not going to change. The nitrates will be lower in the fresh water but with just one fish in a 15 gallon tank the nitrates aren't going to be very high anyway.

The only time fish are shocked with water changes is if water changes have not been done on a regular basis and then you change out most of the water. In a case like that the parameters of the tank water and tap water are very difference. It is that difference than shocks and sometimes kills fish.
On a sidenote, I know some people say 50% water changes may keep nitrates down but for me my nitrates in my old tank (5 gallon) were at least 40 ppm. Hopefully with this new tank this larger water volume may help stabilize a bit more. I use nitrazorb for nitrates, it would save me money if my nitrates would go down on their own, we will see with this new tank

Upvote 0

mattgirl

On a sidenote, I know some people say 50% water changes may keep nitrates down but for me my nitrates in my old tank (5 gallon) were at least 40 ppm. Hopefully with this new tank this larger water volume may help stabilize a bit more. I use nitrazorb for nitrates, it would save me money if my nitrates would go down on their own, we will see with this new tank
Do you have any nitrates in your tap water? or do you add liquid ferts that could be raising the nitrate level? I know I was shocked at high my nitrates were after adding Thrive the first time. I now use Thrive C. It still raised the nitrates but not quite as much. Kinda unusual for one little guy to produce enough ammonia to raise the nitrates that high between water changes.

Do you recharge your nitra-zorb? I would think you would only have to buy it one time. It is really easy to recharge it with aquarium salt and can be used over and over.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
kansas
Replies
Views
ruud
  • Question
Replies
Views