Water change needed after using fritz ammonium powder?

Jdefra

Hello I'm doing a fishless cycle on my second 20 gallon tank. This is a planted tank, used fritz ammonium chloride powder, then fritz nitrifying bacteria and the cycle seems to be going very well. When the ammonia and nitrite reach zero, should I do a large water change before adding fish?

pH 7.2
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate hard to tell but I think between 0-5

I've never used the fritz powder before so I don't know if it's different than the liquid and can't seem to find anything online but just want to make sure I'm putting my new fish into the best environment I can. Thanks

mattgirl

I do recommend adding ammonia at least one more time after the ammonia and nitrites zero out. If nitrites spike again we know the cycle isn't done. If that is the case continue adding ammonia until both ammonia and nitrites drop to zero within 24 hours of adding ammonia.

Once we are sure the cycle is complete I always recommend doing a water change before adding fish to a newly cycled tank. We want to start them out in fresh water.

Jdefra

Thank you! Do you think a large water change is needed? Like more than 50%? I usually do 25% bi weekly for my established tank. I just can't find any info on if a larger water change is required for when powdered ammonia is used

mattgirl

Thank you! Do you think a large water change is needed? Like more than 50%? I usually do 25% bi weekly for my established tank. I just can't find any info on if a larger water change is required for when powdered ammonia is used
When you say bi weekly do you mean twice a week or every 2 weeks? The kind of ammonia you use doesn't determine how much water you need to change. Basically ammonia is ammonia no matter what form it comes in. I do highly recommend you change out half the water once the cycle is done and then once a week for the life of the tank after fish are added.

There is more to doing water changes than just lowering the nitrate level. There are things in there slowly building up that we don't normally test for. Fresh clean water also replenishes the minerals present in our tap water. The very first thing I learned when I got into this hobby many many years ago is the importance of fresh clean water to help keep our water pets healthy. I have to think the main reason I have never had to deal with any of the many fish diseases I read about here on the forum on a daily basis is due to the fact that I stick to changing out half the water in each of my tanks every week.

Jdefra

Thank you for the info!

Azedenkae

Hello I'm doing a fishless cycle on my second 20 gallon tank. This is a planted tank, used fritz ammonium chloride powder, then fritz nitrifying bacteria and the cycle seems to be going very well. When the ammonia and nitrite reach zero, should I do a large water change before adding fish?

pH 7.2
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate hard to tell but I think between 0-5

I've never used the fritz powder before so I don't know if it's different than the liquid and can't seem to find anything online but just want to make sure I'm putting my new fish into the best environment I can. Thanks
Hm, what concentration of ammonia did you dose to initially? Any plants or algae consuming nitrates? Your nitrate seems rather low.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sailesh10115
Replies
Views
tuffcookie
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views