Water Change / Hot Water Tank

Geno1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hello everyone, is it safe to use water sitting in the hot water tank to get the temperature right? Or would if be safer to use 5 gallon buckets of fresh tap water and heat that? I wanted to do a 50% water change but I’d have to find a way to heat three 5 gallon buckets.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I always guess at the temp by feel with my finger. I change about 25gals with 5gal buckets and there’s little to no temp fluctuation. I use the bath tub faucet as the sink would take forever and a day.

The only thing I’d be extra careful with is fry or eggs, their temps need to be kept stable more than an adult fish’s.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have always just temp matched with water straight from the faucet. Since I've never had a problem doing it that way I am assuming it is alright to use water from the hot water heater. I couldn't swear to it but I believe most of us do it that way.

I can usually tell if the temp matches by feel but still double check myself with a thermometer.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't believe the hot water tank imparts anything other than heat to the water. I've used that method forever and have never seen any problems with it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom