Water Change Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Iluvfishies, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Iluvfishies

IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

hello, I was informed by someone on here to do a water change of 50% on my 55 gallon fish tank because the peramiters of ammonia and nitrites and nitrates were up a bit. I did that last night of 50% not gravel vacuuming and come home today after work to test it again and they still seem to be up a little but the nitrite went up a little bit. Should I let it run a couple days or do a water change and gravel vac again or what?

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

Is your aquarium still in cycle? this could explain parameters still being up.

3. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

Long story short: I had a 29 gallon cycled completely with a HOB filter, added a 406 fluval canister few months down the road. Gave it a month to build up biological, got a 55 gallon to transfer my Oscar and 2 jewel cichlids. I took all the water and the canister and put it in the 55. So I added probably 25 new gallons per say. The only “new things I’ve done is added a clown pleco and a green terror. Oscar is about 3 inches maybe less, green terror is the same and the pleco is about 3 1/2 maybe? Could it just be cycling back up? Just give it a few days? I usually did 20% water change every Saturday and 50% gravel vac rotating left side and right side every week. Ideas? Suggestions???

4. sassymomma

sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

The fish added are extra waste to manage, so it would be adjusting to accomodate.

I'd personally do more frequent, small water changes until it settles back stable. Enough to keep your parameters within levels that you're comfortable with and add fresh water to the system

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice