Water Change Help!

1. JNikole Initiate Member

Hey all. Im new here. We've been battling Ich. We had one loss. As if now we don't have any more symptoms of the disease. I realize now that I need to be doing water changes more often than i am. I need help here. I'll admit that I haven't been doing it like I should. I need someone to help me with My routine. How much? How often? What chemicals to add. How do you remove the water. How do you add more? I need every little detail and I'm trying to make this as easy as possible.

I have a 55g with three fancy guppies, 1 goldsifh, and 1 angelfish.
    Thanks guys!

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

3. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)

How long have you had your tank? Is the tank cycled? Do you know your water parameters - pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? If the tank is cycled, water changes should be done weekly and the amount depends on your stock and your nitrate level. You want to keep your nitrates under 40ppm, ideally under 20ppm.

In a tank your size, a water changer would probably make it easiest. It'll attach to your faucet and start a suction so you can draw out the old water and vacuum the substrate at the same time. You'll then want to add your water conditioner and fill the tank back up, matching the temp of the new water to the temp of the tank.

How were you treating the ich?

Just want to mention that you have some stocking issues. Goldfish really shouldn't be kept with tropical fish as goldfish need it at much lower temps (60s to low 70s). Your angelfish need it at 78+. I would rehome the goldfish if possible. Depending on the type, some grow to over a foot long and belong in a pond.