55 Gallon Tank Water Change & Gravel Vac

noslen1003
Maintenance schedule at:
weekly water change max at 50%
bi-weekly gravel vac with the scheduled water change.

noticed that gravel subtrate still have a lot of "dirt" when water already at 50% so thought that I still need to continue the gravel vac procedure.
connected a water hose to the faucet and started filling-up the aquarium. At the same time - continued the gravel vac until I was satisfied with the cleanliness of the aquarium.
Finished the filling-up of the aquarium & then added Prime accordingly.

I still have to get a reading after 24-hours.

Also noticed that subtrate really "dirty" after 2-weeks that I am planning to change schedule to weekly however only about 50% of subtrate will be vacuumed.

Am I over-feeding & fishes are making too much "poops"? Or too many fishes in the aquarium?

We will appreciate some inputs.

Aquarist
Good afternoon,

Sounds like you may be over feeding a bit. I only feed my fish once a day every day. Weekly water changes/vacuums are great compared to every 2 weeks. Nothing beats fresh water for your fish

Make sure any new water is the same (within 1 or 2 degrees) of the water in the aquarium. I would also check the pH from the tap and the tank and compare the two if you haven't already. Match them as close as you can. If the pH from the tap is a bit higher than the tank, it should be ok. If the pH in the tap is lower than what is in the tank, be careful! Sudden drops in pH can be harmful.

Ken

ppate1977
There is no harm in vacuuming 100% of the substrate. I always see people afraid they will interfere with their cycle if they overclean. Beneficial bacteria will not unattach due to gravel vacs. I have always done 100% gravel vacs every time for years.

noslen1003
ppate1977 said:
There is no harm in vacuuming 100% of the substrate. I always see people afraid they will interfere with their cycle if they overclean. Beneficial bacteria will not unattach due to gravel vacs. I have always done 100% gravel vacs every time for years.
Good to know.
the way my fishes are "pooping" - thought my bi-weekly gravel vac 50% is not enough.
Did a 100% last night - with the water hose filling up the aquarium at the same time; continued until I was satisfied that cleaning was efficient.

maxima423
if you have plants than its not necessary to gravel vac

but if you do not have plants, than I believe it is necessary since their will be build up

IME, my planted 20 gallon never gets a gravel vac, since I have plants that are heavy rooters, they can use the nutrients that the feces produce, but in my 55 gallon cichlid tank, I always do gravel vacs, I always do 20% water changes once or twice per week and I always pick up a lot of feces

Lexi03
I do a 50 to 75% gravel vac every week, on all my tanks including the planted ones( my plants still have pleny of room around them and I don't have a carpet planting.)

noslen1003
That is basically what I have - community of cichlids - no plants.
Do notice - the fishes more "alive" on frequent water changes. With the water hose/ faucet attachment - no problem changing water; easy.
25% water change twice-a-week.
gravel vac once-a-week.

Thank you all.

psalm18.2
IMO the tank is full of big pooping fish. Try a canister filter, it'll make a difference.

noslen1003
psalm18.2 said:
IMO the tank is full of big pooping fish. Try a canister filter, it'll make a difference.
the Fluvial 305 - canister filter?
if not - what brand is in the market for canister filter?

maxima423
their are Eheim, fluval, and on eBay there are canister filters that get great reviews called sunsun canister filters

for a 55g, I would get a canister recommended for at least a 100 gallon since you have very messy cichlids

noslen1003
I do have a Fluvial 305 filter since the beginnning.

Do I need to do more? Or add an additional filter?

Everythingzen
Your 305 canister is fine. Just make sure you do a monthly maintenance on the media because you'll get very messy sponges and things from your stock as you would already know.

J.M.S.
It's looking good so far! Planning on adding any more live plants? I know bettas love them.

noslen1003
J.M.S. said:
It's looking good so far! Planning on adding any more live plants? I know bettas love them.
no live plants for now - unless I come across at local LFS that I cannot refuse. Also do not have any bettas in my tank.

I am trying to gain experience on handling the present tank - making sure that my fishes live on a decent environment - with a a lot of attention & hard work.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom