• Daily

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Weekly

Votes: 98 67.1%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 25 17.1%

• Total voters

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
BlackSkirtTetra said:
I feel like daily water changes is too much for those with MTS. I can imagine changing the water of a twenty or thirty gallon tank daily but not several tanks that size. Where would one find the time for that?
Well i mean thats the responsibility of having many tanks. This hobby requires lots of work. (not that much actually)

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Percentage and frequency really depends on the tank.. though all of the stocked ones are on a 25% weekly minimum (though I'll admit to delaying by maybe a week on the largest tanks once every two months or so, followed by a much larger change in the direction of 50-70%).
The smaller ones I keep up always, also some of them are on daily or bi-daily schedules. It just depends on the tank though. If it is understocked I might be tempted to delay a change, but I would never delay on an overstocked or grow-out tank.
Hence to me it is a know-your-tanks game.

I once had a case of OTS that wiped out a stock of fish that I'd grown attached to, so I definitely would not delay a change more than two weeks... and also not less than weekly for a good month after it got delayed by that much.

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 20g and a 125g and I change 40% on these tanks twice a week. Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings. So guess what I am doing tonight?

Also wanted to say on the 125 I have 2 canister filters that I break down and clean monthly. So I will do the one on the left on a Sunday morning, then the one on the right two weeks later, then the one on the left 2 weeks after that. That way I am cleaning the filters once a month with as minimal disruption to the ecosystem as possible.

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Weekly, I have a lightly stocked and heavily planted tank so I probably only need to do it every 2 weeks, but every week is more fun. Who else here thinks cleaning the tank day is the best day of the week? My family thinks I’m crazy for thinking this.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
LittleBlueGuppy said:
Weekly, I have a lightly stocked and heavily planted tank so I probably only need to do it every 2 weeks, but every week is more fun. Who else here thinks cleaning the tank day is the best day of the week? My family thinks I’m crazy for thinking this.
I agree with you not your family lol. It doesn't feel right if I don't do something.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom