• Daily

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Weekly

Votes: 99 67.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 25 17.0%

• Total voters

Mike

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years

CMB

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
I try to change mine weekly, but frequently end up forgetting and having to do larger water changes less often.

CMB

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
BlackSkirtTetra said:
I’m not good at remembering to do water charges so mine alternate at a frequency between once a week and once every three weeks.
I honestly don't want to admit how similar this is to what I do.

BlackSkirtTetra

Reactions
Experience
2 years
I feel like daily water changes is too much for those with MTS. I can imagine changing the water of a twenty or thirty gallon tank daily but not several tanks that size. Where would one find the time for that?

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reactions
I’m doing daily on my discus and fry tanks. Weekly on my 75 gallon community and every 1-2 weeks on my planted nano tank (try do it weekly but sometimes it gets put on the back burner).

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
2 years
I do anywhere from 20-50% every 6-10 days depending on the tank. Mike it'll be interesting to see how often people clean their fliters. I know I should probably clean mine more often :p

TheFishmonger

Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
I used to do 25% daily, then 50% weekly.. Sometimes I left it for two weeks. Now I am doing 80%-90% weekly for clear water.

OP
Mike

Mike

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
jinjerJOSH22 said:
I do anywhere from 20-50% every 6-10 days depending on the tank. Mike it'll be interesting to see how often people clean their fliters. I know I should probably clean mine more often :p
Yeah I have a list going of polls I want to make and plan on doing them frequently. If anyone has some good ideas on polls feel free to pm me!

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
2 years
I do at least 50% once a week. Usually around 60%. Less on shrimp tanks. Sometimes if I'm bored I'll do a second a week. The last two weeks I've only done 30% changes as college has me wrecked.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
BlackSkirtTetra said:
I feel like daily water changes is too much for those with MTS. I can imagine changing the water of a twenty or thirty gallon tank daily but not several tanks that size. Where would one find the time for that?
Well I mean that's the responsibility of having many tanks. This hobby requires lots of work. (not that much actually)

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reactions
Percentage and frequency really depends on the tank.. though all of the stocked ones are on a 25% weekly minimum (though I'll admit to delaying by maybe a week on the largest tanks once every two months or so, followed by a much larger change in the direction of 50-70%).
The smaller ones I keep up always, also some of them are on daily or bi-daily schedules. It just depends on the tank though. If it is understocked I might be tempted to delay a change, but I would never delay on an overstocked or grow-out tank.
Hence to me it is a know-your-tanks game.

I once had a case of OTS that wiped out a stock of fish that I'd grown attached to, so I definitely would not delay a change more than two weeks... and also not less than weekly for a good month after it got delayed by that much.

Morpheus1967

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 20 gallon and a 125g and I change 40% on these tanks twice a week. Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings. So guess what I am doing tonight?

Also wanted to say on the 125 I have 2 canister filters that I break down and clean monthly. So I will do the one on the left on a Sunday morning, then the one on the right two weeks later, then the one on the left 2 weeks after that. That way I am cleaning the filters once a month with as minimal disruption to the ecosystem as possible.

Frisbee

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
2 years
Weekly, I have a lightly stocked and heavily planted tank so I probably only need to do it every 2 weeks, but every week is more fun. Who else here thinks cleaning the tank day is the best day of the week? My family thinks I’m crazy for thinking this.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
2 years
LittleBlueGuppy said:
Weekly, I have a lightly stocked and heavily planted tank so I probably only need to do it every 2 weeks, but every week is more fun. Who else here thinks cleaning the tank day is the best day of the week? My family thinks I’m crazy for thinking this.
I agree with you not your family lol. It doesn't feel right if I don't do something.

New Threads