Water Change Frequency

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BettaBliss, Apr 25, 2017.

1. BettaBliss

BettaBlissValued MemberMember

I have one 3 inch comet goldfish in a 20 gallon long tank with 2 filters on it totaling 300 gph of filtration. I do know his tank is too small, I just didn't know that when I got him. I am currently trying to upgrade his tank or find someone who can provide him with 100+ gallons to swim.
    I currently do 50% water changes once a week. Is this good or should I be doing larger or more frequent water changes?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. AWheeler

AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

What do your nitrates read before you do the water change?

3. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

Generally, 50% should be fine. Not everyone spends on a test kit (I'd use the money toward a larger tank), and in most cases, simply keeping water changes regular and large makes them unnecessary.
    A 3 inch comet is a solid bioload, but he/she is well short of the point where you would need two changes a week. At 5 inches, you'll be there.

4. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

I'll probably get flak for this, but if it ain't broke don't fix it. If your keeping up with his changes and he's happy take your time on getting that new tank. Just don't add any more in there.

5. OP
    OP
    BettaBliss

BettaBlissValued MemberMember

The nitrates are usually 5 ppm or less.
    Thank you very much! I'll remember that when he gets larger. :)
    Thank you! :)

6. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

If you have a goldfish with nitrates at 5 or less after a week you are doing awesome I would say. Keep up the good work while you search for a bigger home for him.