Water change: forgot to add conditioner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BettasfortheBabe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Last night the hubby and I did our regular 50% water change, along with a good gravel vacuuming.
After the cleaning, as we were getting ready to re-fill the tank, we both realized that we either couldn't find our water conditioner (or have used it all up, Im not really sure as he did the last water change and has a conveniently forgetful personality). Its now 9:30pm, the children are sleeping, and there is no "going out to get conditioner" run at this time of night, but we are obviously NOT going to keep the betta's in cups until I get to the store in the pouring rain with the children the next day.
SO, we refill the tank. Run the filter, without the fish in the tank, and pop the fish back in right before we go to bed (at like 12pm). I shall add here that we have EXCELLENT water here where we live: and in our county, the water is not floridated OR chlorinated (the water company uses a different, less harsh chemical).
The fish seem fine and happy today, but the water seems a little cloudy (it could be just me seeing things). I wont get a chance to do anything with the tank until later this evening when the children are asleep and the hubby is here to help me move water through the house. Should I do another water change tonight with conditioner? Does any of my percieved cloudiness in the water have anything to do with it being non treated? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd add the conditioner, don't know if you need to do another WC. Even if you don't have chlorine ect. in your water (we have our own well at home) I would recommend using the conditioner just to make sure that all the chemicals are neutralized and to take care of any heavy metals floating around.
IMO

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would think that even if milder, if the water company adds anything to kill bacteria, there is a good chance that the bacteria in your tank could be killed off. The cloudiness could possibly be the bacteria dying (but this is just a guess and not based on any knowledge.)

So I would just keep an eye on you ammonia levels just to make sure you are okay.

deadgirl500

Reaction score
I've forgot the conditioner a few times, but I don't have an aquarium, just a single fish. It should be fine this one time, but once you get the conditioner, I'd put it right in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 21 70.0%

Top Bottom