Water change & Fish Question

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I have a new tank recently cycled I had just added three harlequin Rasboras everybody was doing fine. I had to drain the tank to move it. I put them in the bucket while I drained it and added them back to the tank. They still seem fine Do I have to wait again to add more Rasboras? It's a planted tank

2. renthus Well Known Member Member

Why did you have to move the tank...?

3 rasboras is sorta negligible in this case, so just go ahead and add them. My general policy is, only 6 inches (one shoal of small guys, or 6 rasboras) at a time, and 2 weeks between shoals.

3. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I wanted to end up with 10 Rasboras but I was told to only add three at a time. But what about having to drain & add new water?

4. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

The beneficial bacteria are not in your water, they are in your filter, substrate, and plants. So moving the tank didn't effect anything, unless you allowed your filter and substrate to dry out.

Adding 7 rasboras at one time, especially little ones, should be fine if the results of you water test are showing 0 ammonia, 0 NO2, and a minimal amount of NO3.

5. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

How soon after a major water change can I test my water?

6. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Common wisdom says 24 hours for reliable results.

7. virusmk Well Known Member Member

If prime conditioner is used you can test your water almost immediately.
    There is big mith about prime showing some falce results immediately, but it has been proven that it could be a false statement.
    Few weeks ago here we had a good tread about it, just cant remember what the name of the tread was.
    After that for 2 weeks i decided to experiment on my own as well.
    I did checked my water parameters before and after water change, and on a surprise 9 out of 10 times i did got same results. Only one exeption was after 60% water change after test showed a lot less nitrates, which in a way makes me to believe that large amount of fresh water diluted nitrates more than that prime had any effect into giving false test results

8. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I used Prime and API Stress Zyme. Do I need to continue with the Stress Zyme after each water change?

9. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

The reason I asked, is someone said that the bacteria is not in the water it's in my filter and substrate. I just wanted to know how long it would take for the bacteria to get into the water

10. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

The reason I said "common wisdom" is that I don't necessarily agree, but I don't have any evidence to dispute it.

The bacteria in a cycled aquarium are never present in any amount in the water. They consume the ammonia/nitrite as it passes through the filter, or as it passes over the substrate or anywhere else the bacteria have colonized. That is why if you shut off your power you can have ammonia build up in a cycled aquarium.

11. virusmk Well Known Member Member

I use stress zime only for a day or 2 when i have to introduce new fish or transfer one to another fishtank but it is just my personal preference as others myght have some more experience with it..
    _Fried_Bettas_ i will try to find that tread so you can compare and do your little experiment. at least you will know what happens in your tank

12. Mortisha Member Member

I had the same question about Prime so I emailed Seachem and this is the 2 responses I got.

Hello Wendy,

Prime converts toxic NH3 ammonia into a form (NH4+) that is not toxic to your aquarium inhabitants . Athough the ammonia is bound in the NH4+ form, it still detectable on most test kits as they do not have the ability to differentiate between the toxic NH3 form and the non-toxic NH4+ form. This is why you will get a "false positive" when using Prime. Due to the larger volume size, you will have to cycle the aquarium to be able to have enough beneficial bacteria to sustain the system. You can expedite this process by adding Stability (Seachem. Stability).

I hope this helps. Have a nice day!

Hello Wendy,

Thank you for your response and I am sorry for the confusion. Prime is active for 48 hours in your system. You should be able to test your ammonia levels right after you dose the Prime in your system. When using other test kits (not ours) it is a possibility that you can receive false positive as these kits will read both total and free ammonia (toxic). When using our test kit, Multi Test Ammonia you will be able to distinguish the total and free ammonia.

I hope this makes more sense.
    Please let m know if you have any other questions.