Water Change Emergency Help

Discussion in 'Water Changes' started by Ginger Theredheeler, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Ginger TheredheelerNew MemberMember

Had just completed 30% water change and turned filter back on. Because I've been insanely busy I hadn't cleaned out the filter media in ages and it spewed a bucket-load of filth into the tank. Nitrates off the chart and water like mud. I've just done another 30 - 40% change and put a second filter in - no beneficial bacteria, just to take some solids out of the water (and cleaned the first filter out). How soon before I can do another water change? 6 foot tank and filter output is 2000 litres per hour. Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

You could do another one right now if you wanted, but it depends on how different your tap water is from the tank water

3. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Ditto what nikm128 said. The filter change shouldn't be a problem in an established cycled tank.

4. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

i clean all my filters when doing my weekly water changes.

all the gunk is just collecting in the filter. clean out your filter and filter media with old tank water or dechlorinated tap water. then do a large water change.

you can use a diy water polisher. i use mine 2-3 times per week in between the weekly water changes. i also use it as a vacuum, wave maker, water pump, water changer. a 5/8" inside diameter hose fits the maxi jet 1200 model.

5. Ginger TheredheelerNew MemberMember

Thank you. I know that I SHOULD clean them all weekly but the real world keeps getting in the way. Now I've had a close look at the consequences of not taking enough care of my fish-peeps, I'll take more care.

6. Ginger TheredheelerNew MemberMember

Thank you guys for your advice. My fish peeps are all several years old now and I'd be gutted to lose any of them through my own negligence. They seem fine - in fact they seemed to love the extra goop in the water and zoomed around recycling it into food - yuk. Will do another change tomorrow. Thank you again, sometimes it just helps to hear other people tell you not to panic.