Water Change during Cycle??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, small problem. My water is about 1.5-2 inches below the water line it started out at. I am very early in my cycle but have had some dropping ammonia and am going to LFS again to get water tested as still have not had replacement API test kit mailed to me. I have a python like syphon for water changes and or cleaning. I know I do not want to clean now as the water is cloudy and with ammonia dropping probably having some bacteria. What I want to know is should I just let the water stay as it low, or should I add some. IF so with this type of water changing device I know I get the water from the tap to temp of tank, but do I add the water conditioner into the tank and just estimate the amount. I would think looking it would be around 3-5 gallons. Is too much conditioner bad? If you guys say leave it alone, still let me know about how to do the conditioner in the future when fishes are in there.
Thanks

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you're are not housing any fish at the moment, you can just top the water off. Just try to guesstimate how much conditioner you will need to use or you could just treat for the size of the entire tank.

What kind of conditioner are you using? I've read where some conditioners are best not used during cycling.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
do you have city water or well water? if its a well, you can just top it off without conditioner ...if its not that low, dont worry about it for now (1-2 inches isnt that much) make sure the temps are up as high as they go as warmer water seems to cycle faster.....and in the future when you are cycled, you just can add your conditioner to the tank as you are putting the new water in the tank

OP
N

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
to answer questions it is city water and I have no fish. I will wait to see if drops more then estimate when add water. Sounds like I can over do conditioner a little and be ok, is that the case also when I have fish?
Thanks

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just make sure the water line doesn't drop below the minimum line for your heater or below the intake of your filter. Allowing either to run dry can damage them. When it gets close to either line, it would be time to top off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom