Water change cycling question

1. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

If you're doing a fish in cycle, how often should you do water changes and what percentage?

Just a quick question

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

50% every couple of days unless it's a bigger than.how big is your tank

3. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Depends on your water parameters which you would want to test daily and also whether you are using a bacteria supplement like TSS+ that advises not to do water changes for 2 weeks.

4. gilpi Member Member

Good quick question... long answer.
    Depending on the fish size, tank size and amount of fish you have I would also change no more than half the tank every couple of days more or less. Me personally, I'd stay away from adding bacteria in a bottle and let the tank/filter do it's job.
    Do not overfeed.
    Do not change the filter media, it needs to grow beneficial bacteria.
    If you can get a hold of a piece of filter media from a tank already cycled, by all means do so and put it in with your filter, it will give you a very fast cycling time.
    Good luck

5. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

6. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

What's your pH? I would be doing daily water changes until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrates. You could also use a bacteria supplement like Seachem Stability to help speed things along.

Also, what kind of tetras do you have? You may be overstocked depending on the type.

7. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

Ph coming out at 7.4

5 neons

Been doing daily water changes for the last 3 days but only received the master test kit today so unsure of previous parameters.

8. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

The pH is fine. I'd just keep doing the daily water changes. That's how I cycled my first tank which was also a 10g and it took 5 weeks without a bacteria supplement. Again, you can always use a bacteria supplement which will cut that down to 2-3 weeks.

Have you rinsed the filter media yet?

Unfortunately, the neons would do much better in a 20g minimum as they're too active for a 10g. I would consider upgrading or rehoming them.

9. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

I'll look to upgrade or rehome them.

Could you explain more about rinsing the filter media?

10. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I only asked about the rinsing of the filter media because I thought maybe you may have been rinsing in tap water which would kill off any beneficial bacteria you had. If you need to rinse it to remove any excess gunk or if the water isn't flowing through properly, just rinse it off in removed tank water or in dechlorinated tap water.

11. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

Oh right. Nope I haven't actually rinsed it at all yet. But, I know that you need to do that in tank water when the time comes.

12. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Awesome! Just making sure. Many people don't know that about rinsing the filter media. :)

13. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

Thanks for your advice by the way

14. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Abb...

If you use a species of fish that has no problem with changes in the water chemistry, then you test the tank water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, you change one-quarter, 25 percent of the water and replace it with pure, treated tap water. This amount makes the water safer for the fish and leaves enough dissolved waste material to support the growing bacteria colony. When several daily tests show no traces of the above forms of nitrogen, the tank is cycled.

If you remove more water, you delay the cycle. Make sure you feed the fish a little every day or two to maintain a steady source of ammonia. Generally, the tank cycles in a month.

Old