Water Change Causing Fish To Gasp And Act Strange

chloemegan

Hello there,
I'm new and so I hope I'm posting this question correctly. Earlier today, one of my guppies died from dropsy (well not from dropsy, but whatever she had caused dropsy). So I removed her body and did a 30-40% water change, as I'd been out and didn't know how long she'd been this way for. I did my usual routine; tap water the same temp as tank that is treated with aqua one water safe. Now all my guppies are either at the top of the water or the bottom gaspic for air and looking very ill. However, my mystery snail is unaffected. There is surface agitation from the filter which is adequate enough to oxygenate the water and has been on an hour (since water change) with no improvement. I feel kept fish for a few years now and nothing like this had ever happened.
My tank info:
20L temporary tank (in the process of being upgraded, and have been monitoring all the water stats due to the small tank and all are good)
3 adult guppies
1 mystery snail
Tank has been established for around two years.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Could be a chlorine spike in source water. You may or may not be able to smell them. Do you have any way to test for chlorine?

OP
chloemegan

chloemegan

If that's the case, what can be done about this? Thanks

Yes, I will do a water test now and get back to you

Readings are as follows :
Ph: 7.5
Ammonia: 0.0
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Chrorine/chloramide: undetected

New Threads