Water Change But Moss In The Way Help

1. MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

Ok this may be a stupid question... so I have a ten gallon shrimp tank but I really can’t do large water changes because lots of the shrimp like to hang out in the moss I have tied near the surface. This is a problem because most of the smaller ones like to hang out inside it, and I’m worried they’ll get stuck if the water level gets too low. You can see that I’m not able to change that much water because of it. Also that pesky problem that my tank isn’t completely cycled, but I haven’t had any deaths in a long time and the population seems to be growing.
    Also if anyone has any tips to remove the annoying hair algae that seems to be growing on the plants, that would be great. Thanks!
    Image1527205891.290514.jpg Image1527205914.487610.jpg Image1527205926.827412.jpg

2. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Haha, funny you should comment on that. My shrimp like to hide in my hornwort that often gkes above the waterline when i do my WCs. And sometimes the water drains away frkm them and they just stay in the hornwort. I used to freak out, but ive never seen any deaths from this and theres enough moisture that the shrimp can live the 10 minutes it takes me to refill. So basically... just tk the water change and yoir shrimp shkuld be fine, even if they are out of the water for a bit.

Abkut the algae... just stop feeding your shrimp anything until the algae is all gone, hungry shrimp will clear it up fast.
    If you knly have a few shrimp however the alage may be growing as fast as they are eating it. In which case keep your lights on for fewer hours a day or split up the time (ie light on from 8-12am, off 12-4pm, on 4-8pm, off until 7am next day)

3. OP
    OP
    MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

That’s a relief! Also I don’t feed my shrimp anything specific, I let the algae grow on the tank and they eat that. The string algae in the plants grows super fast though.