Water Change and Temperature Change Question

JPH1970

Friday I started lowering my tank temperature from 86 to 74. I was treating for ich. It hit 74 late yesterday. I did a water change late last night, 50%, to reduce the salt level in the water.

I realize now that I dropped the temperature too quickly.

This morning I noticed some of the danios are hanging out near the surface close to the filter output. I tested the water and the ammonia was between. 25 and .50. It's difficult to get an exact reading..my eyes aren't the best.

I wasn't quite sure if I should've done another water change and even if I should've, my 2 year old son was waking up and I had to tend to him.

I quickly poured in a bottle of Tetra Safestart Plus, figuring that it would help the ammonia level. That worked for me before.
The closest store that has Prime in stock is a hour and a half away. That's not possible at this moment.

There's 3 danios that are spending time near the top close to the filter output and as soon as I approach the tank, they scatter with the rest of the fish that ate doing their thing in the rest of the tank.

Any ideas?

pagoda

Danio's are top swimmers and they will naturally play in the filter outlet, as I explained on your other thread. At night with lights off Danio's stay up top most of the time and they love flowing water.

They are also temperate so can be perfectly fine in an unheated aquarium or heated, they are not fussy

JPH1970

pagoda said:
Danio's are top swimmers and they will naturally play in the filter outlet, as I explained on your other thread. At night with lights off Danio's stay up top most of the time and they love flowing water.

They are also temperate so can be perfectly fine in an unheated aquarium or heated, they are not fussy
You did explain that to me before. I'm sorry for forgetting.

It's been crazy for me since yesterday and my head isn't on straight.

The other fish are fine, it's just the 3 or 4 danios. They don't really swim around up there, they just kind of hang around there
Not exactly playing around but they scatter all over when I approach the tank and they go crazy when I just fed them.

I did an ammonia test and it registers 0 now

mattgirl

Danios are spastic little creatures. Sometimes just hanging out and other times going at the speed of light. Refresh my memory, Do your have ammonia in your tap water? If so that will explain the ammonia reading after the water change.

I have no fish stores anywhere close to me so my Prime comes to me through Amazon. If you are comfortable ordering on like that may be an option for you. If you do have ammonia in your tap water I highly recommend you get it so you can keep the ammonia detoxed while the bacteria clears it out.

JPH1970

mattgirl said:
Danios are spastic little creatures. Sometimes just hanging out and other times going at the speed of light. Refresh my memory, Do your have ammonia in your tap water? If so that will explain the ammonia reading after the water change.

I have no fish stores anywhere close to me so my Prime comes to me through Amazon. If you are comfortable ordering on like that may be an option for you. If you do have ammonia in your tap water I highly recommend you get it so you can keep the ammonia detoxed while the bacteria clears it out.
There has never been ammonia in my water(well), unless for some dumb reason it magically appeared in the water I added last night.

I did add Aquasafe (not plus) when I added the water. I'm positive that I didn't add too much.

There may be another pet store that has Prime in stock and that's a bit more than 30 minutes from me. I'll call tomorrow morning and if they have it, I'll make a run. My son will enjoy the ride.

If they don't, Amazon and Chewy is pretty darn quick.

It's only the danios hanging out near the filter output. And two others are just swimming around normally throughout the tank. The ones near the filter output are definitely not gasping. They're breathing normally I believe

Again, the ammonia tested this afternoon was 0.

Here they are again....
I saw that the other pet store has it in stock so I placed the order for pickup tomorrow.

I just gotta drive a half hour to get it
mattgirl said:

Should I do another water change even if the ammonia reads 0 again? Before I add prime?

mattgirl

I have read a couple of times that occasionally well water can be low in oxygen. I don't know it that is the case here but if it is you may want to consider putting your water change water in a holding tank/container and let an airstone run in it over night. If the well water is low in oxygen this should take care of it.

Lots of folks that use well water don't use a water conditioner but in my humble opinion it is a very inexpensive bottle of insurance. Before we hooked up to our local municipal water suppy and was still using our well I still added my water conditioner. Back then I used AquaSafe. AquaSafe plus wasn't a thing way back then.

I don't know why you experienced an ammonia spike but it is good that it went back down to 0 fairly quick.

JPH1970

mattgirl said:
I have read a couple of times that occasionally well water can be low in oxygen. I don't know it that is the case here but if it is you may want to consider putting your water change water in a holding tank/container and let an airstone run in it over night. If the well water is low in oxygen this should take care of it.

Lots of folks that use well water don't use a water conditioner but in my humble opinion it is a very inexpensive bottle of insurance. Before we hooked up to out local municipal water suppy and was still using our well I still added my water conditioner. Back then I used AquaSafe. AquaSafe plus wasn't a thing way back then.

I don't know why you experienced an ammonia spike but it is good that it went back down to 0 fairly quick.
Unfortunately I don't have enough buckets to do that with. Awesome idea though and I can easily get more buckets later this week.

Maybe I got the ammonia spike because I lightly vacuumed the gravel when I did the water change. Not sure.

I do have two airstones running in the tank now, on full

This is the first time ever that the well water would've been low on oxygen. The fish never did this before the water change so I think that and the quick temperature reduction were the culprits.

I'm tempted to do another water change tonight, even though ammonia is 0. Instead of vacuuming and potentially disturbing the gravel, I can scoop out water.

I won't have the prime until tomorrow afternoon.

If I do the water change tonight, I'll cut the dose of Aquasafe in half, in case I DID add too much last night

JPH1970

mattgirl said:

Lots of folks that use well water don't use a water conditioner but in my humble opinion it is a very inexpensive bottle of insurance. Before we hooked up to our local municipal water suppy and was still using our well I still added my water conditioner. Back then I used AquaSafe. AquaSafe plus wasn't a thing way back then.

I'm convinced the ammonia spike was because of the gravel I kicked up during the vacuuming that I did....it's just my gut. I didn't vacuum too much, just some in the front. Maybe that's a common thing, who knows. Maybe the tank needs to mature a bit.

Anyway, just in case the oxygen level was depleted, I lowered the water level about a quarter of an inch. It was right up at the same level as the output. I didn't do a water change because the ammonia was still zero and I wanted to try one thing at a time. Oh and to increase oxygen, I dialed up the filter output some.

This morning, when I woke up, every one of the danios showed much more life. They are all swimming throughout the aquarium, with the exception of one. Last night he was just kind of floating at the top but now he's swimming around the top, still near the filter output.

A buddy of mine suggested that they might have experienced shock from the temperature drop.

Whatever it was, there's nearly a complete turnaround

Edit....

They're back to hanging out at the top

JPH1970

No responses? No more advice?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom